2019 Emmy Winners

The Emmys have come and gone, and I under estimated Fleabag because it came in and ruined all of my predictions. I can't wait to see it myself. I feel like this was the most surprising award show I've seen in a long time. A lot of the acting wins surprised me. Game of Thrones (thankfully) being shut out of writing and directing was a nice surprise. Especially writing. Unfortunately FOX aired the show so we got way too many Masked Singer references and Jenny McCarthy is possibly the worst red carpet interviewer I've ever seen. But beyond that, let's get into the winners and my thoughts. The winners are in green.


Outstanding Comedy Series
Barry
Fleabag
The Good Place
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Russian Doll
Schitt’s Creek
Veep
Like I said, Fleabag really came out of nowhere for me. I thought Veep would get this, though I was hoping for Mrs. Maisel. 

Outstanding Drama Series
Better Call Saul
Bodyguard
Game of Thrones
Killing Eve
Ozark
Pose
Succession
This Is Us
The way the show was going, I thought they might actually get upset, but they didn't. I'm sure this win is for the series as a whole, which was groundbreaking. I won't take that from them, but it can't be for this final season. I'm glad the writing and directing wins reflected that. 

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Jason Bateman, Ozark
Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us
Kit Harington, Game of Thrones
Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
Billy Porter, Pose
Milo Ventimiglia, This Is Us
I guessed Billy Porter, even though I haven't started Pose and I'm glad I was right. What a beautiful acceptance speech he gave.


Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones
Jodie Comer, Killing Eve
Viola Davis, How to Get Away with Murder
Laura Linney, Ozark
Sandra Oh, Killing Eve
Mandy Moore, This Is Us
Robin Wright, House of Cards
Jodie is probably the one of the last people in this category I thought would win. I was truly shocked. I don't watch Killing Eve, so I can't speak to her performance. I really thought Emilia would've won this as a consolation to how terrible her character was treated. 

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or a Movie
Mahershala Ali, True Detective
Benicio Del Toro, Escape at Dannemora
Hugh Grant, A Very English Scandal
Jared Harris, Chernobyl
Jharrel Jerome, When They See Us
Sam Rockwell, Fosse/Verdon
I cheered when Jerome won. I didn't think he would as this was one hell of a tough category but I'm glad he game through. He was excellent in When They See Us.


Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or a Movie
Amy Adams, Sharp Objects
Patricia Arquette, Escape at Dannemora
Joey King, The Act
Michelle Williams, Fosse/Verdon
Aunjenaue Ellis, When They See Us
Niecy Nash, When They See Us
WHY CAN'T AMY ADAMS WIN ANYTHING?! Michelle Williams is amazing, and I'm happy for her, and her speech was on fire, but damn why does no one give Sharp Objects all the awards it deserves?

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
Anthony Anderson, black-ish
Don Cheadle, Black Monday
Ted Danson, The Good Place
Michael Douglas, The Kominsky Method
Bill Hader, Barry
Eugene Levy, Schitt’s Creek
This was one of the few I guessed right. Was surprised me the most was how sincere Hader sounded. I was expecting more jokes, and he looked on the verge of tears. 

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
Christina Applegate, Dead to Me
Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Natasha Lyonne, Russian Doll
Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Fleabag
Catherine O’Hara, Schitt’s Creek
I wanted JLD to make history here, but Phoebe is so likable I can't be upset with her win. 

Outstanding Variety/Talk Series
The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
Jimmy Kimmel Live!
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
The Late Late Show with James Corden
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
I can't describe how much I love this show. Sometimes when I'm at work, I'll go to their Youtube channel and just let his bits go on autoplay. This show is remarkable.


Outstanding Limited Series
Chernobyl
Escape at Dannemora
Fosse/Verdon
Sharp Object
When They See Us
I weep for Sharp Objects but Chernobyl was so good, I can't argue with this win. I would've been happy with When They See Us won too.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Anthony Carrigan, Barry
Alan Arkin, The Kominsky Method
Stephen Root, Barry
Tony Hale, Veep
Tony Shalhoub, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Henry Winkler, Barry
For a split second my heard stopped because I thought Tony Hale had one, but it was Shalhoub, like I predicted. I'm fine with that, he's wonderful in Mrs. Maisel.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Jonathan Banks, Better Call Saul
Giancarlo Esposito, Better Call Saul
Alfie Allen, Game of Thrones
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Game of Thrones
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Michael Kelly, House of Cards
Chris Sullivan, This Is Us
This was the least surprising win. They always give it to Dinklage whether he deserves it or not. He's a great actor, and I thought he was great in season 8, but Alfie was better. Giancarlo was better. 

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Sarah Goldberg, Barry
Sian Clifford, Fleabag
Olivia Colman, Fleabag
Alex Bornstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Betty Gilpin, GLOW
Marin Hinkle, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live
Anna Chlumsky, Veep
I'm so happy for Alex! She's wonderful on this show.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Gwendoline Christie, Game of Thrones
Julia Garner, Ozark
Lena Headey, Game of Thrones
Fiona Shaw, Killing Eve
Sophie Turner, Game of Thrones
Maisie Williams, Game of Thrones
I am SHOCKED Garner won. I know some circles were predicting her but I honestly thought they'd go for Shaw over a new person. I'm glad they didn't. While I didn't love Ozark, Garner is an actress that has been giving great performances in indie films for years. I'm happy she has this win. I'm also slightly surprised that people thought a Thrones actress was actually going to win here. Four nominations screams vote splitting.

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
Ron Cephas Jones, This Is Us
Michael McKean, Better Call Saul
Glynn Turman, How to Get Away with Murder
Michael Angarano, This Is Us
Kumail Nanjiani, The Comedian
Bradley Whitford, The Handmaid’s Tale
Ahh Commander Lawrence. Stuck between "ew, your a commander" and "daddy."

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
Matt Damon, Saturday Night Live
Luke Kirby, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Peter MacNicol, Veep
John Mulaney, Saturday Night Live
Robert De Niro, Saturday Night Live
Adam Sandler, Saturday Night Live
I'm pretty shocked Kirby won this. He's great but I thought they'd go for De Niro for ~prestige~ 

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series
Fiona Shaw, Fleabag
Kristin Scott Thomas, Fleabag 
Jane Lynch, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Sandra Oh, Saturday Night Live
Maya Rudolph, The Good Place
Emma Thompson, Saturday Night Live
It's crazy that Mrs. Maisel was taking all these guest spots when Fleabag was running a train on the other Comedy awards. Someone at Amazon is happily rolling around in their money pool.  

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or a Movie
Ben Wishaw, A Very English Scandal
Asante Blackk, When They See Us
Paul Dano, Escape at Dannemora
Stellan Skarsgard, Chernobyl
John Leguizamo, When They See Us
Michael Kenneth Williams, When They See Us
Whaaattt? I know, I didn't see a Very English Scandal so maybe he's fantastic but did anyone see Blackk? He was outstanding. Same with Skarsgard and we all know I'm a Paul Dano fan girl

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series
Cherry Jones, The Handmaid’s Tale
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Apocalypse
Phylicia Rashad, This Is Us
Laverne Cox, Orange Is the New Black
Cicely Tyson, How to Get Away with Murder
Carice van Houten, Game of Thrones
My husband: "Wait, who is she in Handmaid's Tale again?" I get it. I guessted Lange but I was hoping for Cox.


Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or a Movie
Patricia Arquette, The Act
Margaret Qualley, Fosse/Verdon
Patricia Clarkson, Sharp Objects
Marsha Stephanie Blake, When They See Us
Vera Farmiga, When They See Us
Emily Watson, Chernobyl
Okay, I'm not going to pretend that Arquette was bad in The Act. In fact, she was outstanding, but she is a CO-LEAD. This was some major category fraud. 

Outstanding Telvision Movie
Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (Netflix)
Brexit: The Uncivil War (HBO)
Deadwood: The Movie (HBO)
King Lear (Amazon)
OMG get fucked. I already hate that Black Mirror chooses to campaign in this category but Bandersnatch is hands down the worst Black Mirror episode. 

Comments

  1. Is Bandersnatch that episode w/ Smiley Virus butchering "Head Like a Hole"? If so, FUCK THAT SHIT!!!!

    I saw Michelle Williams' speech and that is damn good one. Plus, I'm glad she has a friend like Busy Phillips and they still support each other. Why can't we have more of that?

    I feel bad for Amy Adams. I think she's going to be the new Susan Lucci as someone who never wins (though Lucci would eventually win a Daytime Emmy).

    Can I just say that I'm glad This is Us didn't win anything? I see promos for that show and it's annoying as fuck.

    I think Fleabag is on the FlixNet.

    Gwendoline Christie looked awesome yet Zendaya... HOLY FUCK!!!! Is she single?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol no. The Miley episode of Black Mirror is called "Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too."

      Fleabag is apparently on Amazon Prime so I have to wait to watch it. I only subscribe to prime when Mrs. Maisel is out.

      Gwendoline looked like a goddess. Zendaya did too!

      Adam Adams better not lose everything. I can't handle that.

      Delete
  2. Bill needs a nap and a woman, he is so goddamn tired. I am so happy he won but they still robbed Barry. I cant even with Thrones and Dinklage wins 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's huge that they missed out on writing and directing at least!

      Delete
  3. I hate saying this again, but I've seen NONE of these. How pathetic is that??? I have to do better. I must do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay! Not everyone is into TV. I hope you do start trying to watch a few of these though. They're wonderful.

      Delete
  4. I can't believe GoT won best drama because this final season sucked.

    I've seen Pose, I loved it and I loved Billy's performance. So glad he won!

    Super happy about Bill winning for Barry :D that series is so good and he is delightful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like Barry when I tried watching it but I'll give it another go eventually. I'm not surprised GoT won drama. They won for the show as a whole and not the final season, IMO.

      Delete
  5. Soooo many series I haven't even heard of!! I need to catch up big time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ughhh. I haven't seen any of these. I almost feel like the regular channel shows are like the 3rd class passengers on the Titanic. I don't pay for any of these pay to see networks so i am SOL with Mrs. Maisel and all the rest. I can't stand Patricia Arquette so I am sad she won. I watched the first season of This Is Us and then drifted away. I have no desire to see The Handmaid's Tale which, I guess is sacrilege.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really like Mrs. Maisel if you ever get Prime. I only subscribe when it's on. lol

      Delete
  7. I don't know what I was more surprised by - Game of Thrones's wins/losses, When They See Us massive snubs, and Mrs Maisel not winning Comedy/Best Actress. It was great to see a lot of unpredictable winners, even though I haven't seen them. I hadn't thought about the vote splitting before. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the unpredictability. I'm glad GoT lost where it counted. I'm also surprised about When They See Us not winning more but I don't think anyone expected Chernobyl to be as good as it ended up being.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum