Indie Gems: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

How would it feel to be trapped in your own body?
This is just one of the questions you ask yourself after viewing the French film: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.
Jean-Dominique Bauby (Mathieu Amalric) is the editor of Elle magazine. He suffers a stroke and ends up with "Locked-in Syndrome." The only part of his body that he has control over is his left eye. He developes a code with his therapist as a way to communicate, and while he struggles with being completely aware and trapped in his own body, he eventually accepts it.

I know when you read the summary of this movie, you're probably thinking: "No way, that's too depressing." I'd be lying if I said it wasn't. The film is sad, it will make you cry, and it will make you feel so sorry for people that this sort of thing actually happens to. But it's the way this story is told that makes it special. Director Julian Schnbal chose to shoot a good portion of the fim from Jean-Do's point of view, and the cinematography is nothing short of beautiful. The music fits the film well and there's a dream sequence sampled from The 400 Blows that is absolutely stunning.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B+

Memorabe Quote: "I decided to stop pitying myself. Other than my eye, two things aren't paralyzed, my imagination and my memory." - Jean-Dominique Bauby (Mathieu Amalric)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum