DVD Review: A Dangerous Method

Sexual Frustration.

When a hysterical young woman, Sabina (Keira Knightley) shows up at Carl Jung's (Michael Fassbender) psychiatric hospital he begins using a new method to treat her. While Sabina may have had her fair share of problems, she's very smart and is interested to learn more. Eventually Jung takes her in as a mistress and she not only invades the relationship he has with his wife, but she also comes between the somewhat tense relationship he has with famed doctor Sigmund Freud. (Viggo Mortensen)

This film was very different from David Cronenberg's previous work, which I can appreciate. We love it when actors do something different, the same should be said about directors. I was a little disappointed that Vincent Cassel wasn't in it more, but Keira Knightley's brilliant performances made up for him. I'm actually surprised she was left off of the Oscar ballad last year. I know plenty of people are split with thinking she was terrible or thinking she was amazing. I'm with the latter. At first I found myself underwhelmed with Fassbender's Jung, but then I realized that Jung himself was just a very unlikeable character. And Fassbender was doing him justice. Another thing that stood out with this film was the beautiful score. I had high hopes for this since I had missed it in theaters and I had to wait forever for it to come on DVD, but it was definitely worth my high expectations.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "Experiences like this, however painful, are necessary and inevitable; without them, how can we know life?" - Sigmund Frued (Viggo Mortensen)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum