DVD Review: The Woman In Black

I think I'm getting too old for PG-13 Horror.

Yes, That's just me being cynical. Seriously though, I had to think long and hard about the last PG-13 horror movies that I actually found unsettling. I came up with The Last Exorcism, (not really because it was scary, but because it was just a damn good movie) The Exorcism of Emily Rose, (just because I kept randomly waking up at 3:00 am after watching it) and The Ring. (Samara crawling out of the TV was freaky) I associate the obvious "jump/load noises" scenes with PG-13 horror, because they are a cheap way to frighten people. This movie had way too many of those, and I never jumped once.

A young and widowed lawyer Arthur Kipps (Daniel Radcliffe) is sent to a small village to settle on a house that belonged to a woman named Mrs. Drablow. While locals warn him to leave, he soon finds that his house is haunted by a vengeful woman in black. Can Arthur uncover her secrets?

I'm disappointed in the slow pacing and as I stated before, there were far too many "scenes to make you jump." It really hurt the quality of this film. The story was interesting, and Daniel Radcliffe proves he's more than just Harry Potter, but I can't get past those glaring annoyances.

Recommended: No

Grade: C

Memorable Quote: "Why do I look so sad?" - Arthur Kibbs (Daniel Radcliffe)

Comments

  1. I thought the film was all right, but it did have flaws. The pacing was indeed a bit slow, which is odd for such a short movie. The haunted house was really cool, though, very creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not enjoy this film. I felt like there was no sense of pacing, with things noisily jumping out at you every second, and I dislike Daniel Radcliffe as an actor. I really tried to like him throughout the Harry Potter years, but I still feel he can't act his way out of a paper bag. :) I did like the Gothic setting and landscape in this movie though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum