Comedy Ponderings.

One of the jokes I make quite often as a movie blogger is how my taste has greatly evolved. If you would've asked me who my favorite actor was at age 13, I would've told you Adam Sandler. His comedies were the best. Now I mostly joke about how all of his movies suck and how his humor hasn't changed in years. I don't hate Adam Sandler, I have a special place in my heart for Billy Madison and for movies like Spanglish and Punch Drunk Love.

Earlier this week I was telling someone how I will go see any movie with Will Ferrell in it. He's fucking hilarious, but he has made some pretty terrible movies. (Bewitched, Kicking and Screaming, Semi Pro) Will Ferrell has been one of my favorite comedic actors since about 2003, not to mention I think he's a fine dramatic actor too when the time calls for it. It just got me thinking, am I kind of a hypocrite for loving Ferrell and making fun of Sandler's recent films?

Is Will Ferrell just my teen/young adult phase as Adam Sandler was my tween phase? Jim Carrey would've been my child phase, I haven't enjoyed him in a full on comedy in ages, but I love him in I Love You, Phillip Morris, Eternal Sunshine, Man on the Moon, etc.

Maybe hypocrite isn't the right word. Maybe my taste in comedy is just evolving. With Carrey, he was all about slap stick, which is great for a ten year old. Sandler was a bit more PG13, he lit bags of shit on fire and acted like an ass hole. That works for fifteen year old. Ferrell is a bit raunchier, and is at his best when he's in an R rated comedy where he can drop as many F bombs as he likes. That works for someone my age.

In case you haven't noticed, I didn't see any new movies this week so I had to think of something else to post. Can anyone else relate?

Comments

  1. I still have a special attachment with some movies I watched as a child, comedy or not, even though I realize they are crap when viewed now.

    Adam Sandler did use to have a few good & funny films, but from an acting point of view, I found his persona/charisma somewhat boring.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum