Indie Gems: The Brass Teapot

Admit it. You would probably do the same thing.
 
A poor young couple Alice (Juno Temple) and John (Michael Angarano) are "two steps away from white trash" as they put it. One day, while browsing through a roadside antique store, Alice sees a brass teapot and is immediately mesmerized with it. She steals it, and her and John high tail it out of there. Soon, they discover that this teapot dispenses cash whenever they feel pain. They must find that fine line between controlling themselves, or letting it go too far.
 
I can't judge these characters. If this teapot landed in my lap, and shot out $100 bills for every scratch, cut, or burn, I'd probably take advantage. The lengths these two go are quite comical. It starts out with a simple burn from a curling iron, and escalates to Brazilian waxes, dentistry work without Novocain, and bar fights with people twice their size. The film is quite predictable when you think about it, but even though you can see the ending a mile away, it's still a fun ride to see where John and Alice go next, and when they will get their much needed reality check.
 
I loved the cast. I've been a big fan of Juno Temple since I saw her in Atonement and Notes on a Scandal. Small parts, but I knew she just had something special about her. Michael Angarano is always reliable as well, and Alia Shawkat, Alexis Bledel, Bobby Moynihan and Jack McBrayer all pop up in small, but interesting roles.
 
Grade: A
 
Memorable Quote: "I can't do this without you." - Alice (Juno Temple)

Comments

  1. The premise of this didn't grab me, but you make it sound terrific. :-) I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a lovely little film. I was kind of surprised on how much I liked it.

      Delete
  2. This was a fun watch, quite entertaining. Loved Juno Temple and Michael Angarano, they had good chemistry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to see this. It was on VOD a few months back and I skipped it, but now I'm wishing I had given it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel! It was in theaters here for a week or so, and I skipped it then. I wish I had seen it sooner.

      Delete
  4. I was going to check this out, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think you'll love it. I already want to see it again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum