Review: Star Trek Beyond

There is strength in unity

Three years into the USS Enterprise's five year mission, the crew is getting bit restless. Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) feels lost and wonders if Star Fleet really was for him. Spock (Zachary Quinto) is having a rough time with Uhura (Zoe Saldana) and is torn between what he feels is his duties on New Vulcan. When a distress call that turns into a trap destroys the Enterprise, the crew are split up on an unknown planet trying to fight off a being called Krall (Idris Elba) who is after an artifact that was on the ship.

I've always had a soft spot for the Star Trek reboots. I grew up in a house hold where my dad loved the show and I thought it was so boring. The new films helped me look at it in a completely different way. That being said, when I saw the first trailer for Beyond, I was worried new director Justin Lin was going to stick us with The Fast and the Furious in Space. I'm thankful that wasn't the case.

Beyond has a lot of heart and with smaller groups, we're able to not only get more development with our old characters (particularly Spock and Bones) but we get the time to get to know our new characters, like Jaylah (Sofia Boutella) as well. 

The film's weakness does lie within it's directing. Lin isn't Abrams and there's a few shots that reminded me of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, where things are moving so quickly it's hard to focus on what's happening. Still, the cast has great chemistry and I can't help but want to know more about them with each passing minute. They even throw out a sweet nod to the old cast from the original series.

I felt sad leaving the theater though, after watching Anton Yelchin and knowing I'm only going to get to see three more new films from him. 

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B+

Memorable Quote: "...You gave your girlfriend a tracking device?" - Bones ( Karl Urban)

Comments

  1. It was such a bittersweet movie in terms of the plot as well as the tragedy behind it. I love that the movie gave Chekov a lot more to do, but I hate it because I was reminded of the loss the franchise and all the movie lovers all felt when Anton passed. I still get teary when I think about it, and I'm guessing I won't be able to post my review any time soon. I just can't handle it. God knows when I'll be ready to watch his other movies and revisit the ones I've already loved.
    Ending on a good note, nice review and I totally agree in terms of directing in some places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had read another review that said Chekov was side lined, but I didn't feel that way at all. He was on screen quite a bit and his presence known. I feel really bad for the Star Trek cast that knew and loved him personally. I'm still working on watching the two films of his I missed, Odd Thomas and Charlie Bartlett. It's going to be hard.

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking about heading to this one today, but I never saw the second one. Oops.

    It will definitely be bittersweet seeing AY up there though (but I'm glad to hear he's got more to do). Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You don't need to see STID to enjoy this, though I really loved that one too despite some plot holes and stupid scenes with Alice Eve.

      Delete
  3. The passing of Yelchin and Nimoy definitely left a sad cloud hanging over this one. I loved how the movie addressed Nimoy's passing. It felt important to Spock's character. It was a little obvious but given Nimoy's icon status I was perfectly okay with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked really well. I agree. I had wondered if he would be mentioned at all in this film, but I liked what they put in.

      Delete
  4. I liked how they addressed Nimoy's passing too and wonder if they'll be able to give Yelchin something similar.
    I liked this movie, it was fun, and Sean really loved the Bones\Spock pairing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they do another, I kind of hope Chekov gets some huge promotion vs dying, I'm glad they won't recast him at least.

      Delete
  5. I agree that some of the action sequences were a bit messy, but otherwise I really enjoyed this film. Loved the tributes.

    - Zach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't expecting that one of the original cast, it was nice. Make me miss Anton even more though. :(

      Delete
  6. lol i love your choice of memorable quote! I agree, the cast had great chemistry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of my favorite scenes, especially the look he gives Spock at the end of the film about it.

      Delete
  7. I'm so excited to see this tonight. I worried about the change in director, but it sounds like he's pulled it off. I might have to bring my tissues though, I'm not ready to see Anton again :(
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did a decent job. Abrams is better, but Lin wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. lol

      Delete
  8. I just reviewed this too, my friend Ted and I have differing opinion on it. Yeah I'm not fond of Lin's directing in this one, though I like his Fast & Furious movies. Seems he applied the same sensibility (for a lack of a better word) in this one and it didn't quite work for me. I did like Jaylah though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaylah is good, I can't believe the idea of her came from Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone.

      Delete
  9. Grrr, when I get a chance to get to the cinema, I'm planning on watching the hell out of this. nice review Brit. I'm so sad to know it's one of Yelchin's final films too... :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed this movie. The villains in the previous two were better but I still liked it a lot. I also really loved the love show to Nimoy. So great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a nice way to remember him, I agree. I want to go see this again, it was just fun.

      Delete
  11. I liked those movies but I think I'll wait for DVD, not a huge fan of the series. Also why would anyone hide Idris under the make up? That's just a waste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do get to see him briefly without it!

      At least that sexy voice is still there.

      Delete
  12. Nice review. I really liked it as well. Agree that it had a lot of heart.
    I actually enjoyed Lins direction and I think it brought a degree of freshness to the movie. I hate his work on the F&F movies but I liked what he did here with the action sequences. I also feel that Abrams is not that great of a director to begin with, so his presence behind the lens was not missed that much, at least by me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't miss the lens flares lol. I do think Abrams is better than Lin, but he wasn't bad here by any means.

      Delete
  13. Cool review! Still have to see this but it's nice to read a fair amount of reviews that the movie is still good. It gives me hope that the fourth one will keep the stride going too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are they going to have most of the original cast in that one though? I thought it was maybe going to be a prequel since Kirk's dad will be in it?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum