2018 Screen Actors Guild Nominations


I got to watch this one live unlike the Globe nominations on Monday. (I'm feeling better too, strep throat is a bitch) Did you all suffer through that awkward banter that made these nominations last way too long? In case you didn't, here are the nominees plus my thoughts. 

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
The Big Sick
Get Out
Lady Bird
Mudbound
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
I love this category. Every single film. I'm especially happy for The Big Sick after the Globes snubbed it completely. 

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
Timothee Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name
James Franco, The Disaster Artist
Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq.
I'm so happy Daniel Kaluuya got in. I'm surprised they went with Denzel over Daniel Day-Lewis who I figured would get nominations no matter what. *Continues praying that my theater opens The Disaster Arist soon*

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Judi Dench, Victoria & Abdul
Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Margot Robbie, I, Tonya
Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird
This is probably how the Oscars will look too, right? Unless Meryl replaces Judi for The Post. Intersting how the Globes showered that with love and it came up empty handed here. Guess not everyone got those screeners. Anyways. SAOIRSE!!

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
Steve Carell, Battle of the Sexes
Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project
Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water
Sam Rockwell, Three Billboard Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Wait, so Steve Carell is supporting now? I'm confused. No Michael Stuhlbarg for Call Me By Your Name either? I love that Harrelson got recognized along with Sam Rockwell, which is what I hope the Oscars do too. Especially since they're hellbent on ignoring Rob Morgan. 

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
Mary J. Blige, Mudbound
Hong Chau, Downsizing
Holly Hunter, The Big Sick
Allison Janney, I, Tonya
Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird
Holly Hunter was a surprise, I didn't expect SAG to love The Big Sick like they did. The rest I think will all be here on Oscar morning. 


Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
The Crown
Game of Thrones
The Handmaid’s Tale
Stranger Things
This Is Us
It's nice to see Game of Thrones back after sitting out the Emmys. We all know Handmaid's Tale is going to win this though. 

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
black-ish
Curb Your Enthusiasm
GLOW
Orange is the New Black
Veep
GLOW is a big surprise too. OITNB has won this award for the past three years in a row. Do you think someone will unseat them this time around?

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series
Jason Bateman, Ozark
Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
David Harbour, Stranger Things
Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
I wish Noah Scnhapp would've gotten nominated for Stranger Things. They always show Millie love, but never the boys and this one out acted her this season. I haven't seen Ozark but it's next on my binge list since I just finished The Crown. 

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series
Millie Bobby Brown, Stranger Things
Claire Foy, The Crown
Laura Linney, Ozark
Elisabeth Moss, the Handmaid’s Tale
Robin Wright, House of Cards
I'm going to miss Claire Foy in The Crown. She is outstanding in that role. I know Elisabeth will likely win. (it's too bad Ann Dowd couldn't sneak in here too) 

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series
Anthony Anderson, black-ish
Aziz Ansari, Master of None
Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm
Sean Hayes, Will & Grace
William H. Macy, Shameless
Marc Maron, GLOW
This is the only category that had a tie this year and it's hard to see a front runner right now. 

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series
Uzo Aduba, Orange is the New Black
Alison Brie, GLOW
Jane Fonda, Grace and Frankie
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Lily Tomlin, Grace and Frankie
I really don't get why the SAGs love Grace and Frankie so much. It's a bit baffling. Uzo barely had anything to do in OITNB this season yet I'm still not surprised for her nomination. I'm on team JLD all the way. 

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie
Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock
Jeff Daniels, Godless
Robert De Niro, The Wizard of Lies
Geoffrey Rush, Genius
Alexander Skarsgard, Big Little Lies
That Sherlock movie seems like it happened years ago now. I keep forgetting it was in 2017. I'm here for Alexander Skarsgard, but bummed Ewan Mcgregor didn't make it in for Fargo. 

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie
Laura Dern, Big Little Lies
Nicole Kidman, Big Little Lies
Jessica Lange, Feud: Bette and Joan
Susan Sarandon, Feud: Bette and Joan

Reese Witherspoon, Big Little Lies
I laughed when I saw this category. Those two shows had too much talent to let anyone else in. 

Comments

  1. The Post and DDL's fashion flick screeners were sent late, apparently

    The fuck is Dinklage doing here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dinklage is the token GoT acting nom. At least he had something to work with this year vs last year.

      Delete
  2. I do think SAG does a better job in nominating actors than the Golden Globes. They suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do. Sometimes the Globes come through, like for Paul Dano in Love & Mercy, but it's mostly the SAGs.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum