Review: Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

You can wear the mask too.

Miles Morales (Shameik Moore) is bitten by a radioactive spider and becomes Spider-man in his own right. Soon after, Peter Parker is killed, but King Pin (Liev Schreiber) has opened a portal to multiple dimensions bringing back the thought dead Peter (Jake Johnson) and several other Spider-people Miles must learn from.

Sony should never have bothered with the Amazing Spider-man franchise and should've jumped straight to this. Everything about this film works and still manages to feel fresh despite all the different versions of Spider-man we've had over the years. Of course, Miles is a big part of that. Fans of the comic have been wanting to see him brought to the big screen for years and his debut does not disappoint.

The animation in this film is out of this world. They play with different textures and styles and it can be very in your face at times. But considering how weak wide release animation has been this year, I was happy to have my sense assaulted a bit with this colorful creation. I was just in awe of it. I don't think I've been wowed to this extent since WALL-E

Story wise, I think the film did a great job with not only Miles but introducing the multiple Spider-people and not overusing them. They all fit perfectly. Moore is excellent, Nic Cage as Spider-man Noir was a hilarious surprise. The only two voice actors I didn't care for were Jake Johnson and Hailee Steinfeld. Thankfully their characters were still cool enough to make up for their shortcomings, but I still wish Sony would've gotten Tobey Maguire to voice Peter instead. 

There's so many fun easter eggs for fans of every single Spider-man that came before this, and the obligatory Stan Lee cameo may choke you up a bit. Stay until the end of the credits for another amusing scene. 

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A-

Memorable Quote: "Sometimes I light a match and let it burn all the way down just so I can feel something." - Spider-man Noir (Nicolas Cage)

Comments

  1. I can't wait to hear Jake Johnson as Spider-Man again
    ❤️💙🕸

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he is, and I like him the best but for the older Peter B. Parker in this I think Tobey would've been a good fit.

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping to see this before the end of the year as I thought about seeing it this past weekend with Vox Lux but timing prevented it. And yes, those Amazing Spider-Man films were unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky your theater got Vox Lux! I don't think mine will. I would be shocked if it did.

      Delete
  3. YESSSS! I loved this movie so damn much, I need to see it again (and be visually 'assaulted', indeed). If only Sony had skipped the Amazing films...maybe we could already be on the third Spider-Verse film by now.

    We are going to get more of these...right? Right? *sobs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to, this got near universal praise. Those Amazing films were a disgrace.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum