Here's what I read in 2018



I really slacked with reading this year. I just kept getting in movie moods instead, but here are the few books I read in 2018. My 2019 goal is to double this. 

Crazy is my Super Power - AJ Mendez-Brooks
I haven't watched wrestling in years, but I still love reading wrestlers' memoirs. I had heard AJ covered a lot about mental health, so that peaked my interest. She does speak of it extensively and I love her for it. My only complaint is she barely talks about wrestling at all. I love backstage stories and really only the final few chapters are devoted to it. It surprised me how little it was mentioned.
B

Meaty - Samantha Irby
After We Are Never Meeting In Real Life became my favorite book from last year, I had to check out Samantha's earlier work. It was hilarious. Not as polished as her second novel but I still feel like I relate to her so much. 
A-

Attack on Titan: No Regrets vol 1 and 2 - Gun Snark & Hajime Isayama
Last year during one of the TV editions of Thursday Movie Picks where we had to find non English TV shows, I picked non English shows I planned on watching. One of those was Attack on Titan and I dove in head first. I ended up reading these two volumes as they were side stories on Levi, one of my favorite characters. I loved getting that extra knowledge and now I've started following the main manga online.
A-


Why Not Me - Mindy Kaling
I adore Mindy, and while Marathoning the Office this year I decided to pick up her second book. I found it really interesting and I'm not going to lie I was trying to Google some of the people she talked about with fake names because I love drama like that.
B

One More Thing - B.J Novak
Another product of my office binge, I'm really impressed by how wonderful of a writer Novak really is. Not that I ever doubted it, but it was nice to see so much of his work in one place. This is collection of short stories and some of them are pretty bland but most are wonderful. I'd love to read something else by him.
B+

The Broken Girls - Simone St. James
This book is way better than it has any right being. St. James tells multiple stories at the same time and you'd think it would get messy but it never does. I love mysteries and this satisfied all of my cravings.
A

Why I'm No Longer Talking To White People About Race - Reni Eddo-Lodge
From her blog post of the same name, I love that Reni expanded on this. This is such an important book and I found it so fascinating. I will say that the first chapter is a lot because she's talking about Black History in the U.K and for me personally, I knew nothing about it so I felt like I was getting a massive info dump but the rest of the chapters are clearly in her voice.
A

Wilde Lake - Laura Lippman
I love Laura, she's one of my favorite authors and Wilde Lake has been one of the best she's written in a while. All of her books are mysteries and even though this one was slightly predictable, it was a page turner that I couldn't put down.
A


Comments

  1. Interesting choices there. Glad you had the chance to read Mindi and BJ Novak, I heard their books are really good. Mine is a long list of mostly romance and YA, but I really enjoy them, and that's what is important. My goal this year is to read less romance and YA, and more classic and adult contemporary. I have a couple Haruki Murakami novels on my list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have our go to's. I really like crime/mysteries. I'm always reading Laura Lippman, she's my comfort reading.

      Delete
  2. I really wanted to read that book from AJ Lee as she's someone I miss seeing though I can understand why she'll never go back to Meekmahan-land. Plus, I applaud her for wanting to talk about mental illness as I think there should be more discussion about it as I've been through it and still go through it but I don't use it as an excuse.

    Plus, I have heard that Meekmahan-land isn't a great place for everyone in regards to what happened to Mauro Ronalo who had relapsed through his own bipolar disorder after being bullied by that douchebag fuckhead JBL.

    I'm so hoping for All Elite Wrestling to succeed and tell Meekmahan to go fuck himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel bad for AJ because she got put in a really shitty position with being married to Punk after all that went down with him. Those few months after his firing when she was still employed had to be awkward as hell and she gave up her dream for it.

      Delete
    2. Exactly. She did get into some real heated battles with Stephanie over payment issues for women as Stephanie made a lot of bullshit claims about equal pay for women (totally untrue). AJ also had issues with Nikki Bella who is really a shallow bitch. The reason Nikki was Divas champion was because she was with John Cena and used that to get her way. There's stories about Nikki that are awful and now I can see why Cena left her for good.

      Delete
    3. I haven't kept up on my gossip but I did think their proposal was BS because I remember the one episode of Total Divas I did manage to watch was the one where Cena was pretty adamant about never getting married again because of what happened with his ex wife.

      Delete
  3. Anthony and Greg wrote their own books, Why don't you read those in your doubled 2019 goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I've read.. none of these. But I do have Why I'm No Longer Talking To White People About Race on my TBR so I might be picking it up soon. I've read Mindy's first book but not very keen on picking up the second.

    Good luck doubling this list! I made my 2019 challenge the biggest so far so... the pressure is on. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I skipped Mindy's first book all together because this one sounded more interesting. lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum