Thursday Movie Picks: Jump Scares That Got You

This week's Halloween theme from Wandering Through The Shelves was one that I suggested. Jump Scares...that actually do their job. I think sometimes horror fans are immune to jump scares because we see so many. Or the film is predictable and you can see them coming a mile away. But sometimes..they're effective. Here are a few that had me flying out of my seat.

1) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

Yes, I chose the remake. This is honestly probably the dumbest thing I've ever jumped at...the scene where Sheriff Hoyt comes up to the teenager's car window out of nowhere. It's such a cheap move but for some reason or another I did not see this coming at all.

2) It

This film was effectively creepy without relying on jump scares but when Giant Pennywise came out of the projector the Losers were watching, that had me out of my seat. 

3) The Descent

I'm sure you can guess what got me in this film before I even say it. Yes, that car crash/fake out ending. Honestly this is just a brilliantly done film all around, and there's nothing quite like thinking your final girl made it, only to get scared out of your seat, then slapped in the face with reality. 

Bonus: Gothika. Not because I flew out of my seat, but because a woman in another row did and dumped her entire popcorn bucket all over me. I actually love this movie, it's a weird guilty pleasure, but I always think of popcorn lady when I watch it. 

Comments

  1. I have not seen any of these films. It I might see but it looks scary. I want to see Gothica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Gothika. It's pretty bad and really far fetched but I just enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I'm 0 for 4 on these but there are not the type of film I watch so I'm not surprised. I did have a chance to Gothika but it got such terrible reviews and I'm indifferent to Halle Berry so I skipped it.

    Hate to sit out a week's theme you chose but the only film I could think of the 1979 version of When a Stranger Calls with Carol Kane I've used before. But that one did get me and my pregnant cousin, we didn't realize how intense the beginning and end would be...she said the baby jumped when the first scare came!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Nice. That's okay that you sat out. Jump scares don't get everyone. :)

      Delete
  3. That It jumpscare was fucking wild!

    oh my God did that lady apologize about the popcorn thing?:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did. I felt bad for her, she was so flustered. lol

      Delete
  4. The only one I've seen is Gothika, but I can't even remember the plot anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still need to watch It. I've been hearing that that movie was pretty scary! Great list!

    Here’s my Thursday Movie Picks!

    Ronyell @ The Surreal Movies and TV Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. That scene from It was awesome. That was scary. I didn't participate in this one mainly because I had a hard time trying to remember those jump-scare moments as I couldn't think of any.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice picks! I kind of felt IT relied a little too heavily on jump scares, but the projector one was by far the most effective and creepy. Seeing it in theaters was terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember others saying that too, but I didn't feel like there were many in that film at all.

      Delete
  8. I guess IT was scary... now I had read the book so the scares were a little less scary for me :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the book beforehand too, I just wasn't expecting GIANT Pennywise to come out. Just regular sized lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum