Review: Ford v Ferarri

Two or Three hundred years?

Former driver and current car designer Carroll Shelby (Matt Damon) is tasked with designing a car to beat Ferarri at the 24 hour Le Mons race in the late 60's. He wants the best driver for the job, the volatile Ken Miles (Christian Bale) to drive it, but mustache twirling villain and Ford VP Leo Beebe (Josh Lucas) does just about everything possible to stand in Ken's way.

I don't care about racing. I never have, but I was pleasantly surprised with Rush a few years ago so despite my indifference I decided to see this one for the actors. 

This is yet another instance of a movie being two and half hours when it really doesn't need to be. The length makes the film wildly uneven. The racing is thrilling, but other parts are frustrating. Especially Josh Lucas.

There's a difference between an effective antagonist and an annoying one. Leo Beebe is the latter. He was so over the top smug and goes through the entire movie completely unchecked, even though Jon Bernthal's character was clearly in a position to do so. Maybe all of this did go down exactly this way in real life, but it undercuts the powerful scene Shelby and Henry Ford II (Tracy Letts) have in the second act because Beebe's motives take that all away. I couldn't enjoy Lucas being a dick because I could not wait for him to just fuck off. He wasn't enjoyable or interesting to watch at all.

Bale was the standout for me, and Damon was good as well. Letts has a single great moment in the film and Caitriona Balfe is also solid, even though her character is kind of all over the place in the beginning.

I didn't read anything about Shelby or Miles in real life, perhaps if I did I would've skipped this entirely, because If I'm sitting through a movie that's already too long, I'd like to at least have a satisfying ending and this doesn't. That's a personal gripe and it shouldn't stop you from seeing it if you want to, but it ultimately was just not enjoyable, no matter how well made it was and how great the two leading men were.

Recommended: No

Grade: C+

Memorable Quote: "This is an ugly fucking car." - Ken Miles (Christian Bale)

Comments

  1. Even that dude's name is over the top smug lol does Bernthal at least speak in this unlike in Peanut Butter Falcon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yes. I liked Bernthal in this, but I kept thinking there should've been more to his character. Mainly him punching Josh Lucas in the face, which should've happened about 10 times in this movie.

      Delete
  2. I have zero interest in racing though I keep reading how great this is. I think I'll wait until it's streaming somewhere. It's been a while since I've seen Josh Lucas in anything though! Where's he been?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably somewhere making a Bradley Cooper voodoo doll.

      Delete
  3. I saw it last night and I loved it, actually. It was entertaining, the actors were great, although I agree the ending was not what I was expecting. Overall, a very American movie, but for me, in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. American is definitely a good way to describe it. lol.

      Delete
  4. Josh Lucas... the poor man's Matthew McConaughey. I remember seeing him interviewed for films and man, he always come across as smug. He's an OK actor but always comes off as a fucking douche. Couldn't they have gotten someone like Aaron Eckhart?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mum and stepdad loved it ❤️💛💙💜

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you seen Elmo, Abby and Cookie Monster's duet with The Wiggles?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice review! I think I've only seen Rush once, and honestly, it was enough. Any time a racing movie comes out, I automatically compare it to that. It was so good. I wish I'd jump on this one for Bale / Bernthal, but I'm honestly waiting to see if it will get nominated for anything and force myself to watch it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol that's why I watched it. Just in case it gets nominated I wanted to be prepared. I wonder if this gets a bunch of Sound nominations at least? Rush getting snubbed in the Sound categories that year was egregious.

      Delete
  8. I liked this one more than you.

    Also Jon Bernthal in a suit. That is all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum