My Top 10 Films of 2020

I spent an unnecessary amount of time trying to decide what I was going to do with my Top 10 list for this year. With the Oscars pushing their eligibility window to March, it means movies I really want to see like Minari and Nomadland don't come out until February. That's going to get confusing. Then I thought to myself, Brittani, 10 people read your blog and no one cares where you draw your line. So here I am with my Top 10 of 2020. I'll probably make a Top 15 list next year if I end up loving a bunch of the Oscar holdovers. 

Honorable Mentions: The Assistant, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, Birds of Prey, Bad Education, Babyteeth, Sylvie's Love, Disclosure, The Vast of Night

Another honorable mention but this scene was too perfect not to gif

My Top 10 Films of 2020

Riz Ahmed is amazing in this and I loved how much of the deaf community it showed.

I know. A contemporary black and white film on my best list? Well The Forty-Year-Old Version is funny, honest, and a must see.

One of the most beautifully shot films of the year is about a girl who swallows random objects. This was such a unique story.

I love the hand drawn animation and the Irish folklore. I can't wait to see what Cartoon Saloon produces next.

It's rare that a documentary makes my best list, but this year made me realize that the majority of the docs I watch are kind of sad or about true crime and while this one does include sad stories, it's absolutely fucking wild.

Hamilton made me SO HAPPY when it first came out. It's exactly what we needed during this pandemic and I'm still listening to the soundtrack all the time.

A quirky film from Miranda July with a wonderful performance from Evan Rachel Wood. This film is really the definition of an indie darling.

This film has a wonderful ensemble cast and feels very relevant in the world today. We've learned nothing.

A film about a teenager girl seeking an abortion that doesn't follow any of the typical roadblocks you'd expect this movie to run into.

Denmark is apparently the drinking capital of the world and Mads Mikkelson is an absolute delight.




Comments

  1. There are some here that I would like to see especially the one about that amusement park of hell. I don’t think I will watch the documentary about the girl who eats stuff. It’s a real issue but I just don’t like seeing that. The 40 yr o led Version sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd get a kick out of Class Action Park. Forty Year Old Version is fantastic

      Delete
  2. Need to see Another Round and Wolfwalkers for sure!! Could NOT get into Kajillionaire...surprised to see it here. Other than that, I love this list!! I need to put mine together...oy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's too bad about Kajillionaire. I loved it. I think you'll like Another Round and Wolfwalkers too!

      Delete
  3. I've only seen 2 films in your top 10 so far. Da 5 Bloods and Never Rarely Sometimes Always as the latter is in my top 3 now I think. 2020 fucking sucked ass as far as film-watching is concerned for me personally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty underwhelming. There's still good films but I think the pandemic just killed so much general excitement.

      Delete
  4. I swear half the effort of making these end of year lists is trying to decide on our own criteria for release dates!
    I've only seen around half of your list but I'm very excited to see the ones I haven't. Also YAY for Kajillionaire! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know. The amount of work that had to go in this year lol.

      Delete
  5. Awesome list! I really enjoyed watching The Trial of the Chicago 7! It was such an amazing film! I still need to watch Wolfwalkers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. I know plenty aren't as impressed with it, but really I think it's one of the best.

      Delete
  6. I can't look at this gif without getting massively turned on lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun list. I think we share one but its a really good one. Love seeing ANOTHER ROUND mentioned. I'm REALLY anxious to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a ton of differences this year, but yes, I love Another Round. I hope that ends up on several best lists.

      Delete
  8. Of this list, I've only seen Hamilton, which I didn't include on my own as I didn't consider it a movie, but rather a recording of a stage production. Still though, it's great, and if I did count it, it would've easily topped out my own list. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's technically got but I liked it so much it had to go there.

      Delete
  9. God, I was so terrible watching 2020 movies. I don't know when my best of list will come out because I'm so behind. I think I've only seen Birds of Prey, Hamilton, and Never Rarely Sometimes Always. But a lot of these are on my to-watch list like Da 5 Bloods and Sylvie's Love. I'm counting down to Minari and Nomadland too. Great list of unique titles. Hope you find as many great films to see in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! With everything getting pushed back, hopefully we have lots to choose from.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum