What I Watched on TV in June

I actually slowed down on TV this month since it's finally summer and I can be outside, even if I still can't go anywhere else. Here's what's been keeping me busy on the small screen.


Insecure - For the first time, I didn't love an Insecure episode, and that was the finale. But it is making me look forward to the next season so it's not a complete loss. A lot of people predicted a pregnancy, I wasn't one of them but it happened. I have high hopes for next season. I hope Issa and Molly work it out, and I hope Issa and Lawrence just go their separate ways. I think that would be for the best. I also hope there's more Kelli because god she's a comedic gem.


I Know This Much Is True - It's like the TV Gods looked at me and said "Oh, you thought Six Feet Under was depressing?" This was such a heavy show. I never read the book, as I mentioned before so I don't have that to compare it to, but I thought it was a strong mini series overall. Mark Ruffalo is amazing. I thought Hugh Jackman would be a shoo in for Best Actor in a Limited Series/TV Movie at the Emmys for Bad Education but Ruffalo not winning this would be an absolute joke. This is probably his best work. I also hope Philip Ettinger isn't left out of the Emmy conversation either. He played the younger version of Ruffalo's character and he was spot on.


Space Force - I wasn't expecting much from this show to begin with but man what a dud. The only two characters I like are Angela and Chan, them and my curiosity about why Maggie was in prison (which they never answer) was what kept me watching. The biggest laugh I got from the entire series was Anglea's first words when she landed on the moon. The most atrociously written character is Erin, who plays Steve Carrell's teenager daughter. She is for some reason a high school student even though the show flip flops back and forth about treating her as one. She exists only to be a snarky bitch. Diana Silvers deserves better than that.


Snowpiercer - I tried getting into this, I really like the cast but it just wasn't something I wanted to go back for. Airing on an already crowded for me Sunday didn't help. I think I might attempt to binge this again later.


I May Destroy You - I LOVE Michaela Cole and I'm glad she has an HBO show. This is another heavy watch, but it's also littered with so many wonderful moments between Arabella and her friends. 


Inuyasha: The Final Act - I rewatched this with my son. It's my all time favorite anime but I forgot just how fast they blew through about 20 volumes of manga to make these episodes. Now there's news of a sequel and I'm kind of terrified to see what they come up with. I also had to laugh. Exposition is rarely a thing I complain about in movies and after re-watching all of Inuyasha, I think I know why. This show was nothing but exposition. I've just been so used to it all this time.


Comments

  1. I have no interest in seeing Snowpiercer as a show despite the cast as I just prefer the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame because I LOVE Diggs, but I just can't get into it the way I got into the movie.

      Delete
  2. It's really a shame about Space Force. It seems like all the pieces are there for something good. But I don't think I have heard from anyone who really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they'll listen to the complaints and step up their second season (which I think they're greenlit for already?)

      Delete
  3. I am enjoying Snowpiercer but it doesn't measure up to the movie, even though Daveed Diggs is doing great work as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the feeling I'm getting. I need to try harder.

      Delete
  4. I wanted to watch that Ruffalo show but jesus christ HBO, something this depressing during the pandemic? i'll probably never get to this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's still worth your time because he's SO good, but yes. Sad city. lol

      Delete
  5. I'm so interested in Ruffalo's series, but I'll probably check it out after the pandemic. I wanted to like Snowpiercer too, but it lost a lot of intrigue when they revealed who Wilford was in the first episode. The murder mystery concept is good, but at the same time, I couldn't get over how it wasn't like the movie. Daveed was great though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy I Know This Much Is True when you get to it, Ruffalo truly gives his best work in it.

      Delete
  6. You gotta love all that Emmy love for I Know This Much Is True! So cool that it was validated in tha-- oh... it only got one nomination? Like total? (Ughhhhh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was probably too depressing for voters. It deserved way more. I'm a bit sad The Plot Against America was completely shut out too, another that was hard to watch given the current climate.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum