2021 Blind Spot Series: Little Shop Of Horrors

 


What I knew going in: The basic plot

Seymour (Rick Moranis) is a loney flower shop worker who crushes on his colleague Audrey (Ellen Greene) while they both dream of leaving Skid Row. Seymour comes across a strange and unusual plant and comes to find out that it lives off blood.

Yes, I had to make a quick change to my Blind Spot list because once again, I cannot find Suddenly, Last Summer anywhere. This was a film that I have always meant to see as I love musicals, but somehow missed. Since it was available on HBO Max, I went for it, and I am so glad I did.

I loved this! It's so much fun, and I've watched it twice this week already. I was very familiar with the stage show, and I know the movie has a different ending. (I also watched the original ending on youtube, which I liked. My son thinks the movie ending is better) I loved how catchy the songs were, the Greek Chorus was wonderful and I loved how over the top and ridiculous everyone was. Plus, a plant tells Rick Moranis "tough titty" more than once. That's amazing.

I left this movie wanting to see the stage show every more. At 94 minutes, this film flies by which makes it even more rewatchable. I'm actually glad my list fell through last minute. Now I finally get to see and love this.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "Tough titty!" - Audrey II - (Levi Stubbs)

Comments

  1. I thought this was okay but nothing I'll ever watch again. I actually preferred the original 1960 version with Jack Nicholson which was done on the cheap but still managed to achieve a weird charm whereas this one had to work at creating the spirit that came effortless to the first.

    That stinks that you can't track down Suddenly, Last Summer and odd too considering it's pedigree and cast. Keep an eye on the TCM schedule, they show it from time to time particularly if any of the three leads is their Star of the Month. It's a wild ride of a film!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do keep an eye on TCM, though I'll be ditching cable soon (the Twins broke me this year) I could pay to rent it on Prime, but I always prefer to either stream them or rent through Netflix or my library.

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is another classic movie I've always known the name of but never even knew what it was about. If I do Blind Spot next year this would definitely be on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this fucking film. It is a masterpiece. I love the musical numbers and Bill Murray's cameo as the masochistic patient. Yet, my favorite song in the film is "I Want to Be a Dentist".

    I know there's a remake coming with Taron Egerton as Seymour and Chris Evans as the Dentist and Scarlett Johansson as Audrey. Honestly, I'd rather have Evan Rachel Wood as Audrey and Scarlett as the masochistic patient just to have a fucked-up scene between her and Evans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evan would make a great Audrey. I'd prefer her over Scarlett too. I think Evans as the Dentist is great though.

      Delete
  4. It's a dandy little film. The casting is just about perfect, and the songs are fantastic. It really does hit every note (no pun intended) about as well as it can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched this when I was a kid and the plant freaked me out. I haven't watched it since but I really should, especially if the reboot moves ahead. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the plant being scary, my son thought it was funny thankfully.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum