Review: Boston Strangler


Unhappy with her life as a reporter stuck on the lifestyle desk, Loretta McLaughlin (Keira Knightley) asks for an assignment to follow a series of murders in 1960's Boston. She's the first reporter to connect the dots and broke the story of the Boston Strangler. Along with her coworker, Jean Cole (Carrie Coon) they continue to cover the story despite the rampant sexism thrown their way.

Hulu, man. Just when I think I'm out they pull me back in. Truthfully I'm surprised this film went straight to Hulu but I'm happy for it because it's nice to get a quality film without having to leave my house occasionally. I love movies about reporters and while this one might not be to the level of Spotlight or All The President's Men, it's a perfectly watchable film.

It's a very brisk film clocking in at under two hours. We get right into it with Loretta and follow her from clue to clue, story to story. The film spares us for the most part of gratuitous violence. It's mostly off screen or shown in a crime scene photo, which I appreciated. It's frustrating seeing Loretta and Jean held back at times specifically because they are women, especially when they are very competently doing their jobs. But knowing they came out on top is helpful. I'm not too familiar with the story of the Boston Strangler, so I found the mystery overall very interesting.

The supporting cast leaves much to be desired. Loretta's husband is downright annoying and there's some lazy casting choices with Chris Cooper as "mad boss", David Dastalmachain as "creepy dude" and Bill Camp as "over it police commissioner." (They have actual names, but they've already played these characters before) But in the grand scheme of things, they don't matter to the story as much. If you're into journalism flicks, this is a great choice on Hulu at the moment.

Grade: B

Comments

  1. I do want to see this. You know…I was very little when this came out and I vaguely….vaguely remember the film coming out with Tony Curtis. It was big news because Tony Curtis almost always played something light..not always but it was a big thing that he played a serial killer. I finally saw that movie just a few short years ago and it was quite good. I’d love to see this film because I never knew that women were I;Volver in finding out who the killer was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should watch that Tony Curtis movie. I noticed it when I was pulling images for this one.

      Delete
  2. I would like to see this as I really need to get Hulu as I know there's a lot of good shit on Hulu. Plus, I'm happy to hear good things for Keira Knightley in this film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hulu has really been knocking it out of the park lately. I normally get it and cancel it often but I find myself keeping it for longer and longer nowadays.

      Delete
  3. I’m the anonymous..grrr. Since I bout my new iPad I don’t show up, I don’t know how to fix this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed if you use Chrome's incognito browser, Blogger no longer lets you sign in. It's so annoying.

      Delete
  4. I liked it too. Knightley and Coon are such a great pair.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum