What I watched on TV in May

This was the month of series finales! Spoilers ahead if you haven't finished Succession, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, or Ted Lasso. This was such a good month of TV that it's almost a little sad that I won't have these shows to watch weekly anymore. 


Maid -
Delta Airlines has the first 7 episodes of this 10 part mini series in their in flight entertainment, and it was fine. I know it got great reviews but I watched this in the first week in May and as of this post, I still haven't gone back to finish it. It just didn't grip me.


Succession -
Wow. What a perfect finale. Selfishly I would've liked another 30 minutes to see what comes after, or for Cousin Greg to get hit by a bus. The only Roy sibling that doesn't have a bleak outlook after this is Roman, in my opinion. Kendall is going to fall back into addition, Shiv turned into her mother, and Connor's wife is going to leave him. Good for Tom though, I guess? 


Ted Lasso -
This show has brought me so much joy that I'm extra sad to say goodbye to it, even with this wildly uneven season. Truthfully, I didn't care for the finale at all. Ted still looked miserable at the end of it - even though he's back with his son. While Jamie had great development, he and Roy fighting over Kealy seemed so out of left field and not in character, especially for Roy. I would've liked Rebecca and Ted together, but instead she gets the Flying Dutchman. There's rumors there might still be an AFC Richmond show, just without Ted, and I'll still watch it if it happens. Even though Ted's earnestness really made this show.


Love & Death - My girl Elizabeth Olsen continues to SLAY. I'm on her Emmy bandwagon obviously. I thought the courtroom scenes were great, but I'm surprised at just how graphic they went with the actual murder. That looked so painful and really makes my heart break again for Betty Gore and her daughters. 


The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel -
Another show ending with a pretty uneven season. The final episode was fantastic, which I was worried about since the penultimate episode was legit one of the worst the show has ever made. I'll miss Midge and her wardrobe, but knowing Midge and Susie got passed their differences and remained friends late in life makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. 


Yellowjackets -
There was a big death in the season 2 finale and I can't say I'm mad about it. Look, I love Juliette Lewis but she was not good in this show. Sophie Thatcher, who plays the younger version of her character is just so much better. So while I'm sad for Nat as a character meeting an end like that, I don't think the show will be at a huge loss without Juliette. I'm much more interested in the younger characters now that we know who the Antler Queen is (not who I was expecting) I hope they get a lot of focus next season.


Waco: The Aftermath -
This was only 5 episodes so I finished it up quickly. Like I said last month, I'm very impressed with this series. It might not be as watchable as the original Waco series but it made for good TV. I'm glad they made it. 

Comments

  1. Maid is a show that I want to see though right now I'm watching Small Axe as I watched the first part in Mangrove on Saturday and will watch the next part tomorrow.

    I really enjoyed this season of Ted Lasso mainly for the arcs, character developments, and callbacks from earlier episodes. Man, I loved the finale though I wished Roy and Keeley got back together while Jamie could go after Roy's sister. I think Ted is happy for now and I think he will get another professional gig in being the manager of the Sporting Kansas City which could be a brother team to AFC Richmond.

    I do hope there's a spin-off as I want it to be on the AFC Richmond Women's team as there is a professional women's league in England. I think it should focus mainly on Rebecca, Keeley, and Barbara trying to figure out what to do while the men's team starts to do well under Roy, Nate, and Beard. There should be an episode where Rebecca and her staff go to America including a stop at Kansas City to visit Ted and get some insight into how to create a proper pro women's team.

    As for their coach.... I do have a crazy idea. Parminder Nagra reprising her role as Jess from Bend It Like Beckham as the coach with an appearance from Jonathan Rhys-Meyers as her husband as she agrees to take the job as long as she can have her own coaching staff as her right-hand woman is Keira Knightley reprising her role as Jules. They would help find players including one who kicks the ball just as hard as McAdoo where he would witness this and fall in love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'd live for a Bend it like Beckham/Ted Lasso crossover.

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping to finally watch Succession but I'm afraid it's been spoiled already kind of like GOT, ahah. I'm glad I did watch Ted Lasso and I'm sad to say goodbye to it too, and though I love all the characters and they might get their own spinoffs, it just won't be the same without Ted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think even with spoilers, Succession is will be very enjoyable. It's nothing you don't see coming ahead of time, it's just great TV while it's happening.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen any but heard nothing but praise for Ted Lasso and Succession. I would love to see these 2. I have to look up Yellowjackets. Juliette Lewis is not the greatest actress out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really like Ted Lasso especially. It's wholesome but so funny. Yellowjackets is a great show, but I'm still surprised at how much I didn't like Lewis.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum