Review: Bottoms


Josie (Ayo Edebiri) and PJ (Rachel Sennot) are two dorky teens who start a "fight club" in disguise of an after school self defense club in order to hit on other girls.

I have to admit, even though I LIVE for anything Ayo Edebiri does, I was hesitant on this. For one, the two lead actors cannot pass for high schoolers, even though I can see why they would want to act in something Sennot wrote. But I've been in a theater drought lately and needed a laugh.

I'm glad I put that aside, because Bottoms was far more of a parody of high school films than I was expecting. It made the casting make a lot more sense. And our two leads are hilarious. After seeing Nicholas Galitzine in Red, White, and Royal Blue, it was fun to see him here as football star Jeff. Real football star Marshawn Lynch playing their preoccupied teacher and club advisor Mr. G was another treat.

There's plenty of laughs here, and a lot more blood than you'd expect. It still falls victim to a lot of overused tropes, but again, that's kind of the point. Director Emma Seligman does a great job, even though her editor is clearly working against her because there's more than one scene where Sennot's dialogue does not match up with the way her mouth is moving. Insane to catch that multiple times.

If you're in need of a laugh, Bottoms has you covered. 

Grade: B-

Comments

  1. I do want to see this as I really liked Shiva Baby and want to see how she approaches the high school comedy. Plus, I'd like to know if Kaia Gerber can do the acting better than her mother did back in the 1990s. Remember that movie Fair Game with William Baldwin and a small appearance from Salma Hayek?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't seen Shiva Baby, I need to watch that. Kaia Gerber's character doesn't really involve much acting but she has a great line towards the end of the film that I'm still laughing about.

      Delete
  2. I have not e en heard about these actresses. I sometimes feel my head is up my ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL well Ayo is great on The Bear, highly recommend that show!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum