2024 Academy Award Winners



I LIVED for the I'm Just Ken performance. It might be the best Oscar  Thankfully I missed the majority of the opening monologue which I'm sure was far too long. I went 20/23 with my picks, which I think is a new record for me. Below are the winners + my thoughts.

Best Picture
American Fiction
Anatomy of a Fall
Barbie
The Holdovers
Killers of the Flower Moon
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
Poor Things
The Zone of Interest
Very happy with this win! I'm glad Emma Thomas' dream came true!

Best Director
Jonathan Glazer – The Zone of Interest
Yorgos Lanthimos – Poor Things
Christopher Nolan – Oppenheimer
Martin Scorsese – Killers of the Flower Moon
Justine Triet – Anatomy of a Fall
Finally!!!!

Best Actress
Annette Bening – Nyad
Lily Gladstone – Killers of the Flower Moon
Sandra Hüller – Anatomy of a Fall
Carey Mulligan – Maestro
Emma Stone – Poor Things
You could tell by Emma's face that even she was shocked she won this. I wonder if the Killers of the Flower Moon team regret not putting Lily in supporting? I really think that's what did it here. Emma was truly the lead of her film. Lily should've been. I hope we see her winning soon.

Best Actor
Bradley Cooper – Maestro
Paul Giamatti – The Holdovers
Colman Domingo – Rustin
Cillian Murphy – Oppenheimer
Jeffrey Wright – American Fiction
It's about damn time!! So happy with this win!

Best Supporting Actress
Emily Blunt – Oppenheimer
Danielle Brooks – The Color Purple
America Ferrera – Barbie
Jodie Foster – Nyad
Da’Vine Joy Randolph – The Holdovers
Her speech was so lovely I almost cried. Paul Giamatti WAS crying. Just a beautiful moment.

Best Supporting Actor
Sterling K. Brown – American Fiction
Robert De Niro – Killers of the Flower Moon
Robert Downey Jr. – Oppenheimer
Ryan Gosling – Barbie
Mark Ruffalo – Poor Things
Another great speech from Downey. Loved that Sam Rockwell introduced him. Justin Hammer giving Tony Stark an award was fitting. He also thanked his stylist, and when the camera panned out my eye was immediately drawn to his 4 inch block heels. 

Best Adapted Screenplay
American Fiction
Barbie
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
The Zone of Interest
I knew I should've changed my guess here! I loved American Fiction so I'm happy it's going home with something. 

Best Original Screenplay
Anatomy of a Fall
The Holdovers
Maestro
May December
Past Lives
Messi was in attendance, if you didn't watch and were wondering. Justine's pantsuit was amazing and I want it. 

Best Animated Feature
The Boy and the Heron
Elemental
Nimona
Robot Dreams
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
As much as I love Spider-Verse, can't argue with this win. It was still a good movie.  

Best Documentary Feature
Bobi Wine: The People’s President
The Eternal Memory
Four Daughters
To Kill A Tiger
20 Days in Mariupol
I really wanted Four Daughters to win this, but there was no way this wasn't taking it. It's the first Oscar win in Ukrainian history. The director said he wishes he could trade it in for Russia never attacking Ukraine. It was a really powerful moment. 

Best International Feature Film
Io Capitano
Perfect Days
Society of the Snow
The Teachers’ Lounge
The Zone of Interest
One of the easier picks of the night. 

Best Cinematography
El Conde
Killers of the Flower Moon
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
I picked this for the win, but the way things were going I thought Poor Things could almost win it. 

Best Costume Design
Barbie
Killers of the Flower Moon
Napoleon
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Poor Things was cleaning up! I thought Barbie would best them here. 

Best Film Editing
Anatomy of a Fall
The Holdovers
Killers of the Flower Moon
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
We love a woman winning in this category! Jennifer Lame's green dress was gorgeous. 

Best Make-Up & Hairstyling
Golda
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Society of the Snow
Yes! I am so happy Maestro didn't win lmao. Honestly though, Poor Things had great hair/make up. They deserve this. 

Best Production Design
Barbie
Killers of the Flower Moon
Napoleon
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Really happy they won here. I would not have been mad if Barbie took it home, but I was rooting for Poor Things.

Best Original Score
American Fiction
Killers of the Flower Moon
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
GET IT LUDWIG!!!!!

Best Original Song
American Symphony — “It Never Went Away”
Barbie — “I’m Just Ken”
Barbie — “What Was I Made For?”
Flamin’ Hot — “The Fire Inside”
Killers of the Flower Moon — “Wahzhazhe (A Song For My People)”
I wasn't sure if they'd give Billie a second Oscar but they did. She's now the youngest person to win 2 Oscars.  I really liked the performances of both that and Wahzhazhe earlier in the show. 

Best Sound
The Creator
Maestro
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning
Oppenheimer
The Zone of Interest
A very deserved win! 

Best Visual Effects
The Creator
Godzilla Minus One
Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning
Napoleon
When did Danny DeVito start aging? He's looked the same my entire life. I still need to see this as I missed its theatrical run. 

Best Animated Short Film
Letter to a Pig
Ninety-Five Senses
Our Uniform
Pachyderm
War Is Over! Inspired by the Music of John & Yoko
I weep for Our Uniform. The true winner. 

Best Documentary Short Film
The ABCs of Book Banning
The Barber of Little Rock
Island In Between
The Last Repair Shop
Nǎi Nai & Wài Pó
I had this as my original pick, then changed it at the last minute. I only have myself to blame. I still think The Barber of Little Rock was the strongest here, but Last Repair Shop was shot exceptionally well. 

Live Action Short Film
The After
Invincible
Knight Of Fortune
Red, White And Blue
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
Wes' star power prevails and dude isn't even there to pick up his trophy. 

Comments

  1. I'm happy that Godzilla won an Oscar... Finally! Plus, I love that small bit between Schwazenegger, Devito, and Michael Keaton. I was like FIGHT!!!! I got pumped up for that. I didn't watch the show but only a few clips including that masterpiece of a musical performance of "I'm Just Ken". It was beautiful. I don't mind Billie Eilish winning as that is a good song but Ryan Gosling deserves all of the awards and all of the flowers for that performance. Messi pissed on Matt Damon's star.

    I'm happy for Poor Things and Oppenheimer as I realized something. Of the people that I call my version of the Bullet Club (PO'TMAN MOTHAFUCKA!, Scar-Jo 3:16, Jena BEST IN THE WORLD!, Tiny Canadian Destroyer, ERW, Queen Anne, and Evil Liv), Olivia Thirlby is the only person in that group to be in a film that won Best Picture. I am fucking happy for Christopher Nolan as he FINALLY got his Oscar as does his wife. Let's hope he does something smaller for his next film and not try to top himself. It's too much pressure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could've actually seen Godzilla Minus One in theaters. I couldn't find the time. Hopefully it hits streaming soon. I'm Just Ken WAS a masterpiece performance. Gosling is so great. Okay, that's crazy that only Thirbly has been in a Best Picture winner. Especially when they've all been in films nominated for BP more than once, I believe. Crazy!

      Delete
  2. I was shocked that Emma won over Lily but it probably was more deserved. I'm glad Oppenheimer won and love that dog!. I'm not much into Billy Eilish as I am not a lover of her singing style. I would have chosen I'm Just Ken. What is with some of these gowns? I really hate how low the gowns are which makes the womens' boobs look like they are all over 60. I also do t wa t to see the start of their nipple. Is Florence Pugh truly wanting to win best where look at the after parties? She has competition with Laverne Cox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both very different performances but if we're talking about who the true lead of their movie was, Emma had the edge. Scorcese should've given Lily more to do to be a true lead. She was the best part of that movie, but was admittedly more of a supporting role.
      The gowns with the raised up straps over the shoulders like Florence and Emily Blunt were wearing were weird. Can't say I was a fan of those.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum