Review: The Idea Of You


Official Synopsis
: Solène, (Anne Hathaway) a 40-year-old single mom, begins an unexpected romance with 24-year-old Hayes Campbell(Nicholas Galitzine), the lead singer of August Moon, the hottest boy band on the planet.

I can't say romance stories that are not so subtle Harry Styles fanfiction are my thing, but considering this is the 4th or 5th film made from one, there's clearly a demo for this, and that's great. Let the 1D fan fic girlies feast.

I didn't have time to get to the theater this weekend, but I did have time to turn on Amazon Prime and watch two actors, one I've enjoyed for years in Hathaway, and one who I've only recently been exposed to - but has been killing it - in Galitzine. It played out about exactly as I thought it would. Lots of "we can...no we can't" so on, and so forth, but I did appreciate how sincere the relationship was from Hayes point of view. I liked Solène and found it easy to relate to her. Hathaway is great in this.

I can't say I'd recommend this to anyone, nor would I watch it again, but it wasn't the worst YA-inspired film I've seen. I'm more curious about those who have read the novel this is based on. What did you think of the big ending change? 

Grade: C

Comments

  1. wait, i didn't know it was YA-inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, based on a book that started as fanfiction lol

      Delete
  2. I might watch this one of these days. Mainly for Queen Anne (who I learned is an Arsenal fan, that means we're officially buddies). I'm sure it's harmless although... isn't Harry Styles gay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry Styles IRL has never commented on his sexuality, but IMO he's probably bi. At least he should be, he's got it all. lol

      Delete
  3. Why did I watch this?! I'm not much of an Anne Hathaway fan but it was new and I couldn't find anything else on that I wanted to see that I hadn't watched dozens of times so I gave it a shot.

    For the most part it was puerile but Hathaway didn't embarrass herself, however there was no spark or chemistry between she and the overly tattooed Galitzine. I'll just put it down to the fact that it wasn't a movie made for me and move on and forget about it completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you watched this! lol. It's not for either of us

      Delete
  4. This sounds like amovie I might watch when I'm.sick and nothing else is on. I have not heard of this guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might make a great "sick in bed" type film!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum