Review: Spider-Man: Brand New Day
Anyone vaguely familiar with me knows that I love a good Spider-man movie so of course I contributed to that record breaking box office number over the weekend. (Holy shit, we're topping Avengers Endgame already?!) And it did not disappoint! I had a great time watching this, but I also had a bit of an epiphany awards when it comes to the larger MCU....
I need to stop watching Daredevil.
Depending on how familiar you are with what Daredevil is doing on Disney Plus will directly effect your experience AFTER watching this film because they are meant to exist in the same universe. And I say "after" because Brand New Day is fun and fast paced throughout, so while some something may through you off guard immediately, it's when you sit and think about it that you realize how much this film doesn't make sense in the existing canon. It's a flaw that's not going to affect everyone. The casual viewer isn't going to wonder why Frank Castle (Jay Bernthal) is not being arrested immediately upon entering a very public place. The casual viewer isn't going to find all of Spidey's supporters being un-harassed odd, even though the very hostile vigilante task force led by Wilson Fisk is supposed to be existing at the same time. They might clock Peter and Yelena (Florence Pugh in a great cameo) being surprised that possession seems to be happening when a whole ass Avenger had that power for years. (Yes, that's me being a Scarlet Witch apologist again)
And it made me realize that I just like Spider-man more. I'd rather just watch Peter's story and not have to worry about all the things it doesn't fit into. Peter is a great character and his pain at missing his family and friends is so evident. When he finally shares a scene with MJ and Ned, the chemistry practically oozes off screen because we've missed them together so much. And when he thinks back on a memory of Aunt May, it hits you right in the heart strings because we know how much they loved each other. And Peter's rapport with Frank is hilarious because they couldn't be more different.
I also loved seeing Mark Ruffalo show up again as the Hulk. It made me realize how much I missed him. I think this is exactly what we needed going into Avengers: Doomsday because the hype has been a bit low for me personally, but now I feel energized. This was a great time at the movies.
Grade: B

Comments
Post a Comment
TALK TO ME! No seriously, leave your thoughts! Comments are moderated because there is an unnecessary amount of spam on Blogger and I don't live that life.