Review: 1000 Women in Horror

 


Official Synopsis: A celebration of pioneering female filmmakers and performers who have left an indelible mark on horror cinema from the beginning of the silent era to the present. 

October is in full swing and I wanted to take this month to finally catch up on some horror films that I missed. And what better way to start than with documentary that gave me a few more ideas to add to the list

There are far more than 1000 women in horror, as this doc points out, but it’s nice to get a few of them together so they can talk about the genre they love. Director Donna Davies keeps the runtime concise, though I could’ve listened to these ladies talk for hours. She’s also very careful of what horror clips are shown, because if we’re going to talk about women in horror, we are eventually going to get into some uncomfortable topics. As someone who struggles to watch media with sexual assault scenes, I really appreciated that Davies doesn’t jump scare us with inserted assault clips of I Spit On Your Grave or Last House on the Left. They talk about them without the focus on the assault itself and that’s something I personally appreciated. 

The best thing about this documentary for me was the focus they put on some indie horror films that I hadn’t heard of. My letterboxd watch list definitely grew.

If you love horror, or just enjoy it occasionally, this doc is available to stream on Shudder.

Grade: B+



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Review: Lilies Not For Me

Please join me in my Favorite Movie Titles Blogathon!