Indie Gems: Mean Creek

In control.
I'm going to try to make Indie Gems an every Friday thing, depending on my seemingly ever changing schedule of course.

Sam (Rory Culkin) is being beaten up by local bully, George. (Josh Peck) His older brother, Rocky (Trevor Morgan) has seen enough. Rocky decides he's going to trick George into coming with him and his friends on a fishing trip for Sam's birthday. They plan to teach him a lesson. When Sam and the others spend this time around George, they realize that he's just a troubled kid and want to back out from what they are about to do. Their friend Marty isn't ready to back down. Will things follow through?

Today my friends and I saw the new Super 8 trailer and got on the discussion of good movies with children/teens as the central characters. This one instantly came to mind. I've always thought Rory was the most talented of the Culkin clan, and this movie is one of the reasons why. Josh Peck also particularly stands out. (this was pre Drake and Josh fame) I didn't like the George character at the beginning of the film, but I began to legitimately feel bad for him as it rolled on. The story was simple and the settings are limited, but these kids really carry the film and keep it interesting. The only issue I really had was the continuity errors. Yes, I'm a nerd and notice that occasionally. The film was very low budget, so you can't really blame them, but at the same time there were quite a few noticeable goofs.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B+

Memorable Quote: "If you could snap your fingers, and he would drop dead in his tracks. Would you?" - Millie (Carly Shroeder)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum