Indie Gems: Pretty Persuasion

Mean girl.
Kimberly (Evan Rachel Wood) is a scheming high school sophomore at a prestigious private school. She forces her two friends Brittany (Elisabeth Harnois) and new exchange student Randa (Adi Schnall) to wrongfully accuse their English teacher of sexual harassment. Why? Fame. Her father, played by James Woods is more concerned about how this trial will effect his business than the effects it has on his daughter herself. TV Reporter Emily (my first exposure to Jane Krakowski) also hopes covering this case will further her celebrity. It seems like everyone is in this for the wrong reasons.

When this first came out, most of my friends hated it, but not me. PP has some pretty intense dialogue and possibly an agenda. Some see the film as having political undertones. I didn't pick up on that at first, but I can kind of see where they are coming from. I enjoy Evan Rachel Wood as an actress, and it was nice to see her in such a cruel role. It goes to some dark places, but manages to place it's inappropriate humor well.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "You want me to be sexy for you..?" - Kimberly Joyce (Evan Rachel Wood)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum