DVD Review: J. Edgar

The most powerful man in the world.

J. Edgar Hoover (Leonardo DiCaprio) was the head of the FBI for a very long time.  The people who know him best are his secretary, Helen (Naomi Watts) and his assitant director, Clyde Tolson, (Armie Hammer) who may or may not be his love interest. The film shows us Hoover's purpose in some high profile casses such as the Lindbergh kidnapping, and the arrest of many thugs and theives. It also shows us his relationship with his mother played by Judi Dench.

I found the amount of make up the actors had to wear in J. Edgar horribly distracting. It didn't feel real. The actual story of J. Edgar is very interesting, and I learned a few things, but that being said, I also felt like I could've watched this in my 9th grade history class. I don't know if this was just the DVD, but I felt like only Edgar's voice was clear, everyone else I was constantly messing with my volume to hear. I can tell director Clint Eastwood wanted this to be bigger, but it just lacked that spark. It wasn't a movie that was fun to watch, it was more like a lesson.

Recommended: No

Grade: C

Memorable Quote: "I don't like to dance, and I don't like to dance with women." - J. Edgar (Leonardo DiCaprio)

Comments

  1. I saw this recently myself. I think I liked it a little bit more than you did, but yeah, it's terribly flawed. I thought DiCaprio was pretty awesome, but everyone else was a bit of a letdown. I agree about the makeup, especially Clyde Tolson. Armie Hammer's makeup as the older Tolson was so distracting, I was waiting for his prosthetic face to melt right off. :-)

    Nice work, Brittani!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum