DVD Review: My Week With Marilyn

The most famous woman in the world.

Colin Clark (Eddie Redmayne) is a young film enthusiast  who gets a job working on Sir Laurence Olivier's (Kenneth Branagh) new film. The star of this film happens to be Marilyn Monroe, (Michelle Williams) currently the most popular star in the world. She clashes with Olivier with her professionalism, lack of acting skills, and contact company of pills. Colin, however is intrigued by her. My Week with Marilyn is based on his short time with her.

I might as well point out that I was never a Marilyn Monroe fan. Sure, she was beautiful, but I never got into her films, nor did I have her pictures or quotes all over my belongings like many people my age do. I really only saw this movie for Michelle Williams. The film itself was very forgettable. Michelle lights up the screen, and Branagh is his usual, brilliant self. But the story was lacking, Redmayne, while not a bad lead wasn't a particularly interesting one either. Then there was that small part for Emma Watson in a bad wig and equally bad acting. Despite it's flaws, and there are many, it's worth seeing if you are a fan of Williams and wish to see one of her great performances.

Recommended: Yes for Williams fans, no for everyone else.

Grade: C

Memorable Quote: "Gee, I ought to feel like this everyday." - Marilyn (Michelle Williams)

Comments

  1. Beautiful film that I enjoyed twice and fell in love with even more upon the second re-watch. I agree that it's not for everyone though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - the film is worth seeing for Michelle Williams, she was really wonderful here. I wish the story was told from her point of view not that little boy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum