Indie Gems: Jeff, Who Lives At Home

I saw a sign.

Jeff (Jason Segal) is a 30 year old slacker who still lives in his mom's basement. After a strange phone call that he thinks may be a sign of his destiny, he sets off on a reluctant errand for his mother (Susan Surandon) and subsequently runs into his asshole older brother, Pat (Ed Helms) as he follows his wife, Linda (Judy Greer) around town to see if she is having an affair.

About three quarters of the way through the film, I started to think to myself, "This really isn't about Jeff at all." Jeff himself mentions something about realizing that the meaning of life might not be about his destiny, but someone else's. Most of the story is Pat and Linda's crumbling marriage, and a subplot about their mother's office crush is sweet, but doesn't connect well with the story until the very end. That's when Jeff regains control of the film. The ending is when we realize that all of this wouldn't have happened without him.

I have to say I'm really impressed with Segal and Helms. They've proved time and time again that they are funny guys, but they tackle drama very well. Granted this film was a comedy, but there were some serious moments that they completely owned. I really enjoyed the film, for all the times I begin to think the film was just "ok" it turned around and gave me something sweet.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B+

Memorable Quote: "Everything..." - Pat (Ed Helms)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum