DVD Review: The Rum Diary

Nothing in moderation.
 
Considering how excited I was to see this film initially, it's a little embarrassing how long it took me to review the damn thing.
 
Journalist Paul Kemp (Johnny Depp) is assigned to write for a newspaper in San Juan, Puerto Rico. He hopes this job will take him further, but he's really just swimming in circles. He's a drunk, his room mate is a drunk. They manage to piss of locals and tourists alike. Soon Kemp finds himself smitten with the wealthy Sanderson's (Aaron Eckhart) girlfriend Chenault. (Amber Heard) That brings on a whole other level of trouble.
 
I happened to be in San Juan while they were filming this, I even ran into Amber Heard in the hotel lobby. (who at that point, I recognized from All The Boys Love Mandy Lane) So it was cool to see all the sights that I saw on film. The film itself was a lot more boring than I expected. The reviews for this were sour, but I still thought it would be a little fun. It was at times. The thing is, aside from Depp, Eckhart and Heard, all of the other actors are below mediocre. It was a little unsettling to see such an obvious line drawn in talent.  I wouldn't go as far as calling The Rum Diary a bad film, because staring at Johnny Depp for an hour and a half is never bad. I just wish it had more heart.
 
Recommended: No
 
Grade: C
 
Memorable Quote: "Why did she have to happen? Just when I was doing so well without her." - Paul Kemp (Johnny Depp)

Comments

  1. I thought the film was one big mess, but I loved every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite liked this one. It wasn't great, but it was funny and good looking movie. I wish Heard had better career though, it seems she is either in bad or mediocre films.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum