Final Emmy Predictions: Who Will Win, Who Should Win

The Emmys are a hard awards show to call since I don't watch every single show that's nominated. (and also because their rules of who goes in what category are absurd to say the least) I try not to be completely bias about the shows I watch (I know Mad Men is a fine show, even if I don't watch regularly) so here is my final list of who I think will win, and who should win. 

Best Drama Series
Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
Homeland
Mad Men
Who will win: Mad Men
Who should win: Breaking Bad
Why: Mad Men has taken the top drama prize for the last 4 years, I expect it to do it again. Mad Men's actors never win, so this is a way of awarding the show as a whole. Personally, I think Breaking Bad is the best show on television, and season 4 is easily one of it's best seasons. I think Breaking Bad will clean up the individual acting categories, so I don't see it winning here.


Best Comedy Series
The Big Bang Theory
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Girls
Modern Family
30 Rock
Veep

Who Will Win: Modern Family
Who Should Win: Modern Family
Why: Modern Family has been the Comedy Champ since it's first season. While shows like 30 Rock and The Big Bang Theory are great, I see Modern Family taking it home again.

Best Leading Actor in a Drama Series
Hugh Bonneville, Downton Abbey
Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Damian Lewis, Homeland
Who Will Win: Bryan Cranston
Who Should Win: Bryan Cranston
Why: Cranston wasn't eligible last year due to Breaking Bad's late season air date, so Joe Schmoe from the horrible Friday Night Lights won instead. (bad choice) Emmy #4 for Cranston is a lock in my eyes, especially since Walter White becomes increasingly more dark to play.


Best Leading Actor in a Comedy Series
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Don Cheadle, House of Lies
Louis C.K., Louie
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men
Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Who Will Win: Jim Parsons
Who Should Win: Louis C.K
Why: I think Parsons will repeat, and I love me some Jim Parsons, but I actually think a win for Louis C.K would be the most deserving. His show is hilarious, even if he might be too crude for some. I haven't seen House of Lies, so I have no clue if Cheadle is the best, but as an actor, a win for him would be cool as well.

Best Leading Actress in a Drama Series
Kathy Bates, Harry's Law
Glenn Close, Damages
Claire Danes, Homeland
Michelle Dockery, Downton Abbey
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men

Who Will Win: Claire Danes
Who Should Win: Claire Danes
Why: The Emmys seem to love Claire Danes, Although I could see them awarding Glenn Close for what I believe is the last season of Damages? (I could be wrong there) I'm not even going to acknowledge Downton Abbey because I think it should've stayed in the miniseries category.


Best Leading Actress in a Comedy Series
Zooey Deschanel, New Girl
Lena Dunham, Girls
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Melissa McCarthy,
Mike & Molly
Amy Poehler, Parks & Recreation
Who Will Win: Len Dunham
Who Should Win: Tina Fey
Why: Even though I think Girls is AWFUL, the show still has it's fans. I see the Emmys rewarding Dunham for her efforts. Personally, I always think Tina Fey is the funniest. I'd be happy with Fey, Poehler, or Deschanel winning to be honest.

Best Miniseries or Movie
American Horror Story
Game Change
Hatfields & McCoys
Hemingway & Gellhorn
Luther
Sherlock
Who Will Win: American Horror Story
Who Should Win: Game Change
Why: Since Downton Abbey decided it was a drama series this year, AHS seems to be the shoo in to win. I thought Game Change was really well done, even if I didn't like the people it was about.

Best Leading Actor in a Miniseries or Movie
Woody Harrelson, Game Change
Clive Owen, Hemingway & Gellhorn
Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia (Masterpiece)
Idris Elba, Luther
Kevin Costner, Hatfields & McCoys
Bill Paxton, Hatfields & McCoys
Who Will Win: Clive Owen
Who Should Win: Benedict Cumberbatch
Why: I don't see Hemingway & Gellhorn winning Best Miniseries, but I can see their actors taking home the prizes. I've only seen a few episodes of Sherlock, but Cumberbatch is pretty amazing in what I've seen. A win for him would be a delight.

Best Leading Actress in a Miniseries or Movie
Julianne Moore, Game Change
Connie Britton, American Horror Story
Nicole Kidman, Hemingway & Gellhorn
Emma Thompson, The Song of Lunch (Masterpiece)
Ashley Judd, Missing
Who will win: Julianne Moore
Who should win: Julianne Moore
Why: Emmys love Sarah Palin impersonations, and Moore did a fabulous job playing her. I'd be fine with Kidman winning too, anyone but Ashley Judd, who should've have been allowed in this category in the first place. Missing wasn't a mini series. It was a shitty show that got cancelled after it's first season.
Best Reality Competition
The Amazing Race
Dancing With The Stars
Project Runway
So You Think You Can Dance
Top Chef
The Voice
Who Will Win: The Amazing Race
Who Should Win: I have no idea.
Why: I cannot describe the immensity of the fuck I do not give about this category. I don't watch any of them.

Best Reality Host
Tom Bergeron, Dancing With The Stars
Cat Deeley, So You Think You Can Dance
Phil Keoghan, The Amazing Race
Ryan Seacrest, American Idol
Betty White, Betty White's Off Their Rockers
Who Will Win: Betty White
Who Should Win: Tom Bergeron
Why: Again, I don't care about this category, I like Tom Bergeron enough to think he should win, but since everyone is on the Betty White bandwagon, they'll vote for her. This way they won't have to pretend they watch Hot in Cleveland.
 
Best Variety Program
The Colbert Report
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Late Night with Jimmy Fallon
Real Time with Bill Maher
Saturday Night Live
Who Will Win: The Daily Show
Who Should Win: The Daily Show
Why: The Daily Show consistently proves to be one of the funniest programs out there. I don't see Jon Stewart and his team being unseated from this for a long time.

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
Giancarlo Esposito, Breaking Bad
Brendan Coyle, Downton Abbey
Jim Carter, Downton Abbey
Jared Harris, Mad Men
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Who will win: Giancarlo Esposito

Who should win: Giancarlo Esposito or Aaron Paul.
Why: My theory on this is, Aaron Paul will still have 2 more seasons to take home Emmy gold, Esposito will not. Plus his character, Gus Fring really showed his true colors in season 4. He's not only a nice business man, but a terrifying drug lord as well. I wouldn't count out reigning champ (can we call them that?) Peter Dinklage here. I just think he'll have tough competition from the Breaking Bad boys.

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Archie Panjabi, The Good Wife
Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Joanna Froggatt, Downton Abbey
Christina Hendricks, Mad Men
Christine Baranski, The Good Wife
Who will win: Anna Gunn
Who should win: Anna Gunn
Why: Like I said earlier, I see Breaking Bad taking all of their acting categories. I cannot stand Skylar on Breaking Bad, but that just means Gunn is doing a good job. This is her first nomination, and I don't see it being her last.
Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Ed O'Neill, Modern Family
Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Modern Family
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family
Bill Hader, Saturday Night Live
Max Greenfield, New Girl
Who will win: Eric Stonestreet
Who should win: Jesse Tyler Ferguson.
Why: Either way, I see someone from Modern Family taking it. At this point, it doesn't even matter who.

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Mayim Bialik, The Big Bang Theory
Merritt Wever, Nurse Jackie
Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Kristen Wiig, Saturday Night Live
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
Kathryn Joosten, Desperate Housewives
Who will win: Julie Bowen
Who should win: Julie Bowen
Why: At this time last year, I would've said Mayim Bialik should win. Then I actually saw her do press for TBBT and I realized Amy isn't really a stretch for her. Plus her character has kind of been over the top for me. I'm going to go with Bowen repeating.

Best Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie
Sarah Paulson, Game Change
Frances Conroy, American Horror Story
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story
Judy Davis, Page Eight (Masterpiece)
Mare Winningham, Hatfields and  McCoys
Who will win: Jessica Lange
Who should win: Jessica Lange
Why: She's got some strong competition, but I see Lange coming out on top again.
Best Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Movie
Ed Harris, Game Change
Denis O'Hare, American Horror Story
David Strathairn,
Hemingway & Gellhorn
Martin Freeman, Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia (Masterpiece)
Tom Berenger, Hatfields & McCoys
Who will win: Ed Harris
Who should win: Denis O'Hare
Why: Ed Harris was great in Game Change, he rightfully deserves the Emmy. I just love Denis O'Hare in True Blood so much that I want him to win because of that.
Best Guest Actress in a Comedy Series
Dot-Marie Jones, Glee
Maya Rudolph, Saturday Night Live
Melissa McCarthy, Saturday Night Live
Elizabeth Banks, 30 Rock
Margaret Cho, 30 Rock
Kathy Bates, Two and a Half Men
Who will win: Maya Rudolph
Who should win: Maya Rudolph
Why: Her episode of SNL was easily the best this season.
Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
Michael J. Fox, Curb Your Enthusiasm
Greg Kinnear, Modern Family
Bobby Cannavale, Nurse Jackie
Jimmy Fallon, Saturday Night Live
Will Arnett, 30 Rock
Jon Hamm, 30 Rock
Who will win: Jon Hamm
Who should win: Will Arnett
Why: Jon Hamm will win here because he won't win the leading actor category. Personally, they should just give it to Will Arnett or make him a series regular. This is his 4th nomination for this part.

Best Guest Actress in a Drama Series
Martha Plimpton, The Good Wife
Loretta Devine, Grey's Anatomy
Jean Smart, Harry's Law
Julia Ormond, Mad Men
Joan Cusack, Shameless
Uma Thurman, Smash
Who will win: Julia Ormond
Who should win: Julia Ormond
Why: This is really tough to guess. Honestly, I'm just picking her because it's Mad Men, and that is the best show on this list of nominees.
 
Best Guest Actor in a Drama Series
Mark Margolis, Breaking Bad
Dylan Baker, The Good Wife
Michael J. Fox, The Good Wife
Jeremy Davies, Justified
Ben Feldman, Mad Men
Jason Ritter, Parenthood
Who will win: Mark Margolis
Who should win: Mark Margolis
Why: Can anyone else act better using only facial expressions? No. Give him the Emmy.

Comments

  1. The fact Mad Men which is far from being the best thing on TV has so many of Best Series Emmys is ridiculous. If they will again I'll laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they win again (which I'm sure they will) I will be very disappointed. Breaking Bad had such a fantastic season! I can't imagine any other show coming near them in terms of quality TV. Game of Thrones would be my 2nd choice if BB didn't win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd award BB with the best series award any other year, but this season...well, I found it to be disappointing. Boardwalk Empire is my winner, that show just keeps getting better and better and the finale was shocking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice picks. You think Dunham is going to win comedy actress? Shit, that'd be awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum