Indie Gems: Night Moves

You said no one would get hurt.

Josh (Jesse Eisenberg) and Dena (Dakota Fanning) are two environmentalists who team up with Harmon (Peter Sarsgaard) to blow up a dam in Oregon. The consequences that follow their quest turn out to be more than they imagined.

I don't want to give a lot of the plot away, because that would ruin the experience. When I first heard about this film at Sundance, a lot of people were comparing it to The East, another film about eco-terrorists. But really, that's all they have in common. Night Moves has a completely different structure and story and stands well on it's own two fee.

Fanning and Eisenberg both play sullen, paranoid people and of course they're both great at it. They had very interesting chemistry together. Sarsgaard isn't in it as much as I though, but he makes his little screen time memorable. The film did leave me wanting more. I wish a book would be written with the events that follow, but the film is very enjoyable and I love the leads.

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "I think we should've known about this first..." - Dena (Dakota Fanning)

Comments

  1. Nice review here. I loved everything about this movie. It revealed precisely as much as it needed to. Could very well be my new favorite Reichardt film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You're right about it only revealing what it needed to, but I still wonder about the consequences.

      Delete
  2. I'm really hoping to see this as I'm a fan of Kelly Reichardt's films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer this to The East, actually. The performances were great, and the cinematography was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beautifully shot. I loved both of those films.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum