2017 Independent Spirit Award Nominations


Ahh the Independent Spirit Awards. AKA the awards where I immediately save half of the nominees into my Netflix queue because they haven't made it here yet. Quite a few of these I expected, while there were a few surprises. 

FEATURE
American Honey
Chronic
Jackie
Manchester By The Sea
Moonlight
Chronic is the only head scratcher. It makes me wonder which year Midnight Special was supposed to be eligible for, this year or last? Because if it was this year, that defintiely should've been in there. 


FIRST FEATURE
The Childhood of a Leader
The Fits
Other People
Swiss Army Man
The Witch
I love seeing Swiss Army Man and The Witch here. 


JOHN CASSAVETES AWARD (best feature made for less than $500,000)

Free in Deed
Hunter Gatherer
Lovesong
Nakom
Spa Night

DIRECTOR

Andrea Arnold - American Honey
Barry Jenkins - Moonlight
Pablo Larraín - Jackie
Jeff Nichols - Loving
Kelly Reichert - Certain Women
I think Jenkins might repeat in the Oscars. Moonlight is the only one of these I've seen yet, though I want to see all five. 


SCREENPLAY

Moonlight
Manchester by the Sea
20th Century Woman
Little Men
Hell or High Water
Hell or High Water getting a screenplay nom but not a feature nom is a bit off, especially with how popular this film was. 


FIRST SCREENPLAY

The Witch
Other People
Barry
Jean of the Joneses
Christine
I really want to see Christine. The only one I've seen here is The Witch, which I liked, so I'm happy to see it here. 


CINEMATOGRAPHY

Free in Deed
The Childhood of a Leader
The Eyes of My Mother
Moonlight
American Honey
Moonlight better repeat at the Oscars that film is absolutely gorgeous. American Honey I hear is gorgeous too. I won't see that until December. 


EDITING   

Swiss Army Man
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight
Hell or High Water
Jackie
I've actually seen 3/5 of these! That doesn't happen often for these awards at the time they're announced. 


FEMALE LEAD

Annette Bening - 20th Century Women
Isabelle Huppert - Elle
Sasha Lane - American Honey
Ruth Negga - Loving
Natalie Portman - Jackie
No Rebecca Hall for Christine is really concerning because I was hoping she would be a dark horse Oscar nominee. I feel like Portman has already won this based on buzz alone. I expect her and Negga will be there on Oscar morning for sure. 


MALE LEAD

Casey Affleck - Manchester by the Sea
David Harewood - Free In Deed
Viggo Mortensen - Captain Fantastic
Jesse Plemons - Other People
Tim Roth - Chronic
Casey Affleck is already winning everything in this category, right? But hey, Meth Damon got a nomination! Good for you, Meth Damon. 


SUPPORTING FEMALE

Edwina Findley - Free In Deed
Paulina Garcia - Little Men
Lily Gladstone - Certain Women
Riley Keough - American Honey
Molly Shannon - Other People



SUPPORTING MALE

Ralph Fiennes - A Bigger Splash
Ben Foster - Hell or High Water
Lucas Hedges - Manchester by the Sea
Shia LaBeouf - American Honey
Craig Robinson - Morris From America
I'm so happy to see Ben Foster in here for Hell or High Water and NOT Jeff Bridges. I can't stress enough how wrong it is to push him for supporting actor when Foster was so much better. Aside from Manchester by the Sea, all of these other films are in my Netflix queue, so hopefully I'll be getting to those soon. 


ROBERT ALTMAN AWARD

“Moonlight”: director, Barry Jenkins; casting director, Yesi Ramirez; ensemble cast, Mahershala Ali, Patrick Decile, Naomie Harris, Alex Hibbert, André Holland, Jharrel Jerome, Janelle Monáe, Jaden Piner, Trevante Rhodes, Ashton Sanders

DOCUMENTARY

13th
Cameraperson
I Am Not Your Negro
O.J.: Made in America
Sonita
Under the Sun
I haven't seen any of these (but plan on watching 13th this weekend) I think we'll be seeing a lot of these come Oscar time too.

INTERNATIONAL FILM

Aquarius (Brazil)
Chevalier (Greece)
My Golden Days (France)
Toni Erdmann (Germany and Romania)
Under the Shadow (Iran and U.K.)
I haven't seen any of these either, but that's not a shocker for the foreign language category. I feel like I never see the bulk of them until AFTER Oscar nominations. 


20th PIAGET PRODUCERS AWARD

Lisa Kjerulff
Jordana Mollick
Melody C. Roscher & Craig Shilowich


23rd KIEHL’S SOMEONE TO WATCH AWARD

Andrew Ahn, director, Spa Night
Claire Carré, director, Embers
Anna Rose Holmer, director, The Fits
Ingrid Jungermann, director, Women Who Kill


22nd TRUER THAN FICTION AWARD

Kristi Jacobson, director, Solitary
Nanfu Wang, director, Hooligan Sparrow

Comments

  1. lol wow, Meth Damon?

    So I should see Swiss Army Man?

    Death to the Machine that is Manchester By The Sea (though I love Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams).

    Very excited about Moonlight, and I am outraged that Rebecca Hall wasn't nominated. She absolutely should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Jessie Plemons because he looks like Matt Damon and he was in Breaking Bad, so Meth Damon.

      I loved Swiss Army Man. It's got a surprising amount of heart for how stupid the premise is.

      I haven't seen Manchester By The Sea yet, but I remembered you thought ot was boring

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see Moonlight! I've heard so many great things that my expectations are so damn high! But, I'm sure this one will meet each one of those expectations. And Swiss Army Man, man, that deserves some love too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love Swiss Army Man. That deserves all the love. I hope you get a chance to see Moonlight soon, it's wonderful.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum