2017 Blind Spot Series: Paris, Texas


What I knew going in: It often appears on "Best of" lists for independent films.

As a lover of indies, Paris, Texas has always been one that has escaped me. So many hailed it as one of the best. Yet, I kept skipping over it in my Netflix queue. Thankfully the Blind Spot Series gave me the motivation I needed.

Travis (Harry Dean Stanton) has been missing for four years when he decides to wander back into society and meet up with his brother, Walt (Dean Stockwell) who in turn has been raising Travis' seven year old son, Hunter. (Hunter Carson) Travis decides he wants to find his long lost wife and takes Hunter along for the ride.

Travis wasn't a likable character for me. He's selfish and reckless but at the same time I was still so curious about his journey. The film didn't answer all the questions I had, but I enjoyed myself nonetheless. Stanton is excellent and carries everything well.

It tends to feel longer than it's 2 1/2 hour run time, but there's a lot of beauty here. The way it was shot reminded me a bit of My Own Private Idaho. The final scene of the film is my absolute favorite.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "But you just found me." - Hunter (Hunter Carson)

Comments

  1. Well you've made a good case for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to see this, as well. I'm considering it for next year's Blind Spot List. If not, I'll still try to fit it in somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already started to make my 2018 Blind Spot list. I have to start early or I forget films. lol

      Delete
  3. This is definitely so far, my favorite film from Wim Wenders as it has this incredible screenplay by the late, great Sam Shepard. I fell in love with it in my teens and re-watched years later in my 20s. It's still one of the best films I had ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that this is one of your favorites. I can definitely see why it means a lot to people.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum