Review: It

You'll float too.

Bill's (Jaeden Lieberher) little brother George went missing months before. We know that Pennywise (Bill Skarsgard) a demon clown is responsible but Bill doesn't know that yet. Until he and his group of friends, the "Losers" as they call themselves all start seeing Pennywise in random places and realize that something isn't right in the town they leave in.

*book spoilers*

I had really high expectations for this, and it met nearly every one. While the 90's mini series felt campy, this film is having none of that. It presents itself as a coming of age type story, but when it needs to be creepy it dials it to eleven.

All of the child actors here are excellent in that parts, with Leiberher being the strongest. I was worried when I saw the trailers that they were going to forgo Bill's trademark stutter, but its still there and he makes it very believable on top of all the emotional baggage Bill brings around. Sophia Ellis plays Beverly, our lone girl in the group. Her story is easily the most disturbing and she handles that subject matter well. Other standouts are Finn Wolfhard as the trashmouth Ritchie and Jack Dylan Grazer as the ever jittery Eddie.

Following in Tim Curry's footsteps isn't an easy but, but I think Bill Skarsgard one ups him as Pennywise. This clown is downright horrifying and the script stands behind him.

The film isn't perfect. I don't agree with changing the decade to the 80's instead of the 50's like the novel. I felt it was only done so they could have a better musical selection for the soundtrack. Otherwise nothing they did justified the time difference and it's going to make Chapter Two, whenever that comes out even weirder considering it will take place in 2016. It also really diminishes Mike's connection with the group. He's the one that will eventually bring them together again as adults, but of all the foreshadowing that goes on in this movie, there's none for that.

I would complain about Beverly being made into a bit of a damsel - Pennywise kidnaps her and that's what gets all of our Losers together in the sewers, but considering the novel quite literally had her have sex with all of the boys to get them out of the sewers this is a massive upgrade. The way they temporarily defeat Pennywise this time around is quite different from the book.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A-

Memorable Quote: "Now I have to kill this fucking clown." - Ritchie Tozier (Finn Wolfhard)

Comments

  1. I read something about the bizzare orgy scene on reddit and assumed they were making it up...nope. It was actually in the book.

    Completely agree the child actors were superb, they sold it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That scene made no sense whatsoever in the novel. Hearing King try to justify it just confirms it too. He could've written a better out for them.

      Delete
  2. I will never, ever be seeing this. I refuse to even look at the poster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This freaks me out and I don't think i will be seeing this. Now finding out that the poor girl has to have sex with every boy..WTF??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she offers herself as a way to bring them all together and it bridges childhood and adulthood or some shit. I hated it. lol

      Delete
  4. waaaaait a minute. it takes place in the 80s? OMG THAT MUSIC.

    I can't wait to see this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that literally has to be the only reason they changed it.

      Delete
  5. Both versions of IT stink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong regarding the remake. lol

      Delete
  6. This sex orgy thing is inexcusable, I don't know what King was thinking but he comes off as major creep having wrote that. I thought the pacing of this movie and the flow was all messed up. The acting was fantastic though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Definitely think they could've focused more on horror than coming of age, but I thought the two meshed well. That book wasn't back to back horror either.

      Delete
  7. I'm reading the book so I shouldn't have read this. Anyway, seems like I'm going to love the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I'm sorry I spoiled a few things, I think you'll still enjoy it.

      Delete
    2. Finished it yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I hope I'll get to see the movie soon.

      Delete
  8. Straight up, the only thing I (specifically) remember about the first book is that weird sex scene, and I was totally relieved that it didn't find its way into the movie. I was thinking it may have been implied, but thank God they avoided it altogether.

    Um, between you and me, I never saw the old one. I always thought it looked corny as f--k (and I generally hate made-for-TV shit anyway). That said, even though I've read all kinds of comments that Skarsgard can't hold a candle to Curry, I can't imagine you could do it much better than they did here.

    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skarsgard is leagues better than Curry, IMO. The miniseries WAS corny as fuck.

      Delete
  9. I wish Mike could've been introduced earlier in the film. He needed more screen time! I haven't seen the miniseries movie since who knows when. I requested it from the library but they haven't had it come in yet. I loved this movie so much. After watching the Dark Tower I needed to see a film that was a Stephen King film that was decent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that Netflix film on 1922 is good. I haven't read the book but the trailer is promising. I wish Mike had more to do as well. They really cut his screen time down.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum