Indie Gems: Marrowbone

Secrets

After their mother dies, four siblings, Jack (George MacKay) Billy (Charlie Heaton) Jane (Mia Goth) and Sam (Matthew Stagg) hide that fact from anyone in fear of getting split up. All they need to do is wait for Jack to turn 21 in six months. But the reason for these kids living in this particular house is quite sinister, and now something may be haunting them.

My immediate thought after finishing this was that whoever wrote it had to have balls the size of church bells to pass something like this off. Then I saw it was Sergio G. Sánchez, the same guy who wrote The Orphanage and I realized that made sense. 

Marrowbone builds dread very well. It reminded me a bit of The Conjuring in a sense. You're on the edge of your seat as Sam goes into a room that's off limits or as tension builds during a game. It get the creep factor down. Unfortunately this film has a lot going on. In a way it's a damn mess....but it works? Something awful happened to these children at one point, but the film goes about revealing this in the most convoluted way possible. It ended up being a really interesting concept, but I think they could've went about it a different way. 

The actors in this film are wonderful. MacKay, Heaton, Goth, and Anya Taylor-Joy who plays their friend Allie I was all familiar with and they didn't disappoint. MacKay does a lot of the heavy lifting here.

This film is far from prefect. It throws too many things at you but it made for a good evening watch on a chilly October night.

Grade: B-

Watched on: Netflix DVD

Memorable Quote: "She loves him, she'll understand." - Jane (Mia Goth)

Comments

  1. Oooof this sounds well worth a watch but I don't know if I'm brave enough!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can do it! You're braver than you know lol

      Delete
  2. OK all sorts of freaky things are going off in my head like they are the ones who killed their mom because she was nasty and the young boy is the product incest between the oldest boy and the mom...maybe the sister. Yeah, not sure I will see this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you've intrigued me... I'll definitely check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard interesting things about this. I might check it out since I do like the actors in this film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments - comfortable that I can miss this now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum