2019 Independent Spirit Award Nominations

Awards season is in full swing and as always we start with lovely independent cinema. I've actually seen a fair amount of these ahead of time! The rest I hope to catch. My watch list is building. Here are a few quick thoughts on the nominees. 

Best Feature
EIGHTH GRADE
FIRST REFORMED
IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK
LEAVE NO TRACE
YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE
The only one I haven't seen is If Beale Street Could Talk, which I'm looking forward to quite a bit. The rest are all solid films, Leave No Trace being my favorite. 


Best Director
Debra Granik, LEAVE NO TRACE
Barry Jenkins, IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK
Tamara Jenkins, PRIVATE LIFE
Lynne Ramsay, YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE
Paul Schrader, FIRST REFORMED
Look at all those ladies! I added Private Life to my Netflix queue the other day, so I'll probably give it a watch this weekend. 

Best First Feature
HEREDITARY
SORRY TO BOTHER YOU
THE TALE
WE THE ANIMALS
WILDLIFE
Wildlife has been on my must see list since it premiered at Sundance so I'm happy to see it get some love here. I'm hoping to catch this on Sunday or Monday. We the Animals is a new one to me, I added it to my Netflix DVD queue after reading the synopsis. The other three films I really enjoyed. 


Best Male Lead
John Cho, SEARCHING
Daveed Diggs, BLINDSPOTTING
Ethan Hawke, FIRST REFORMED
Christian Malheiros, SÓCRATES
Joaquin Phoenix, YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE
I love that John Cho got nominated. Searching was fantastic. Phoenix and Hawke both gave Oscar worthy performances in their respective films. Blindspotting I have in my Netflix queue as well, but it doesn't look like Socrates is available in the U.S yet. 


Best Female Lead
Glenn Close, THE WIFE
Toni Collette, HEREDITARY
Elsie Fisher, EIGHTH GRADE
Regina Hall, SUPPORT THE GIRLS
Helena Howard, MADELINE’S MADELINE
Carey Mulligan, WILDLIFE
I'm so glad Carey got a nomination because IFC is not allowed to drop the fucking ball when it comes to promoting Wildlife. I won't have it. Collette and Fisher I'm super happy about too. I dropped Madline's Madeline in my DVD queue the other day. Support The Girls I have never heard of, it seems like it could be a sweet little comedy. 

Best Supporting Female Actor
Kayli Carter, PRIVATE LIFE
Tyne Daly, A BREAD FACTORY
Regina King, IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK
Thomasin Harcourt McKenzie, LEAVE NO TRACE
J. Smith-Cameron, NANCY
Thomasin being here is everything because she was fantastic in this movie, even though I think she was more of a lead. But I won't argue if it's getting her some attention. I can't wait to see King in Beale Street. Nancy intrigues me. I immediately dropped that in my DVD queue. Andrea Riseborough is always an instant sell. (mental note to re-watch her Black Mirror episode)

Best Supporting Male Actor
Raúl Castillo, WE THE ANIMALS
Adam Driver, BLACKKKLANSMAN
Richard E. Grant, CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME?
Josh Hamilton, EIGHTH GRADE
John David Washington, MONSTERS AND MEN
ALL I CARE ABOUT IS ADAM DRIVER! I hate that John David Washington didn't get a nomination in the lead category though. 


Best Cinematography
Ashley Connor, MADELINE’S MADELINE
Diego Garcia, WILDLIFE
Benjamin Loeb, MANDY
Sayombhu Mukdeeprom, SUSPIRIA
Zak Mulligan, WE THE ANIMALS
This is one thing Suspiria got right, at least. 


Best Screenplay
Richard Glatzer (Writer/Story By), Rebecca Lenkiewicz & Wash Westmoreland, COLETTE
Nicole Holofcener & Jeff Whitty, CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME?
Tamara Jenkins, PRIVATE LIFE
Boots Riley, SORRY TO BOTHER YOU
Paul Schrader FIRST REFORMED

Best First Screenplay
Bo Burnham, EIGHTH GRADE
Christina Choe, NANCY
Cory Finley, THOROUGHBREDS
Jennifer Fox, THE TALE
Quinn Shephard (Writer/Story By) and Laurie Shephard (Story By), BLAME
So happy Thoroughbreds got some love. That movie is still on my favorites list so far. 


Best Editing
Joe Bini, YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE
Keiko Deguchi, Brian A. Kates & Jeremiah Zagar, WE THE ANIMALS
Luke Dunkley, Nick Fenton, Chris Gill & Julian Hart, AMERICAN ANIMALS
Anne Fabini, Alex Hall and Gary Levy, THE TALE
Nick Houy, MID90S

Best Documentary
HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING
MINDING THE GAP
OF FATHERS AND SONS
ON HER SHOULDERS
SHIRKERS
WON’T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR?
I've only seen Won't You Be My Neighbor. This is going to sweep everything, right?

Best international film
BURNING (South Korea)
THE FAVOURITE (United Kingdom)
HAPPY AS LAZZARO (Italy)
ROMA (Mexico)
SHOPLIFTERS (Japan)
I really want to see Burning, The Favourite, and Roma here. The other two I have not heard of until now.

The Truer Than Fiction Award
Alexandria Bombach, ON HER SHOULDERS
Bing Liu, MINDING THE GAP
RaMell Ross, HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING

Producers Award
Jonathan Duffy and Kelly Williams
Gabrielle Nadig
Shrihari Sathe


The Someone to Watch Award
Alex Moratto, SÓCRATES
Ioana Uricaru, LEMONADE
Jeremiah Zagar, WE THE ANIMALS

The Bonnie Award
Debra Granik
Tamara Jenkins
Karyn Kusama

Robert Altman Award
SUSPIRIA
Director: Luca Guadagnino
Casting Directors: Avy Kaufman, Stella Savino
Ensemble Cast: Malgosia Bela, Ingrid Caven, Lutz Ebersdorf, Elena Fokina, Mia Goth, Jessica Harper, Dakota Johnson, Gala Moody, Chloë Grace Moretz, Renée Soutendijk, Tilda Swinton, Sylvie Testud, Angela Winkler

Comments

  1. Fingers crossed for Driver. I'm going all in with Cho in the lead category.

    Desperately wanted to see Thoroughbreds...shame I missed that on the big screen.

    Sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really dig Thoroughbreds, you need to watch that soon!. I'm pulling for Driver too, he's my favorite supporting actor performance this year.

      Delete
  2. I don't understand how First Reformed missed cinematography but at least Mandy is there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got Mandy from Netflix, definitely watching that tomorrow. lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum