DVD Review: The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

It's a passion project.

Toby (Adam Driver) is a very disillusioned director on set of his new film. He comes across a cobbler (Jonathon Pryce) who he cast as Don Quixote in his first film 10 years prior, but now that man really believes he's Don Quixote, and mistakes Toby for Sancho Panza. Now Toby goes on somewhat of a dreamlike journey with him.

Director Terry Gilliam has been trying to make this movie for 30 years. If you've seen any of Gilliam's previous works, you know you're in for something bizarre. But despite that, I actually enjoyed myself. 

I'm a simple person, I see Adam Driver, I watch. What's great about that is this movie is shot like like the director wanted to fuck Adam Driver. He spends the entire movie with an open shirt, in a few occasional almost sex scenes and the camera just LOVES him. It makes me wonder at what point in Gilliam's vision did he realize he needed this. 

Driver plays his incredulous character well and Jonathon Pryce is a riot. You can tell he's having a lot of fun in this role.  Stellan Skarsgard also shows up to be an asshole briefly and I can't argue that.

I think if you're in the mood for something weird one evening, or you dig Gilliam's films, you will probably enjoy this. As strange as it is, I never once found myself getting frustrated with it.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B-

Memorable Quote: "What plot?" - Toby (Adam Driver)

Comments

  1. I've been really intrigued by this. I'm a little iffy on Gilliam's work as a whole but I really like Driver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gilliam is more of a "miss" for me than a hit, but I had to for Driver. Had it not been an actor I'm a big fan of, I probably wouldn't have made the effort.

      Delete
  2. I love Terry Gilliam so I am all in and he is using one of his favourite actors, Jonathon Pryce whom I love since seeing him in Brazil. This sounds great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pryce is having a blast in this movie too. I think if you love him, you'll enjoy this.

      Delete
  3. I really want to see this as I'm a fan of Terry Gilliam and I want to see if he's able to succeed in finally creating his long-gestating passion project. After all, I just hope it's not that 70s Man of La Mancha as any film related to Don Quixote has been cursed as Gilliam seems to be the one to break that curse.

    Oh, and reading from your Twitter scroll about what chicken is the best. I'm from the South and as much as I don't agree with their politics or business plan. I still go for Chik-Fil-A. I grew up on it from childhood and it's one of the few fast food places that holds up as it's also a rare fast food joint that my mom likes. Popeye's isn't good at all as the last time I ate it, I had food poisoning and dysentery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, that sounds awful. I'd go for KFC over Chik-Fil-A. I don't think I lived in a city that had a Chik-Fil-A until recently and when I did try it, despite their garbage politics, it wasn't worth it. No flavor. lol

      Delete
  4. Are you celebrating Scooby-Doo's 50th this September?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. I've always found that show annoying and not the least bit funny.

      Delete
  5. I love that you reviewed this! I had some trouble with the movie overall, but I have to respect Gilliam for sticking with this project for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have trouble with a lot of Gilliam's movies but I'm willing to overlook a lot for Driver.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum