Review: Toy Story 4

More nostalgia toys.

Several years after that perfect ending to this trilogy from my childhood we're back with the toys again. This time, their new child Molly is ignoring Woody (Tom Hanks) but still playing with everyone else. When he sneaks into her bookbag and goes to her first day of Kindergarten and watches her make Forky (Tony Hale) he becomes determined to force him to stay even after he escapes several times.

If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you probably already know that I'm not a fan of the Toy Story franchise. Like most 90's kids, I loved the first one but unlike everyone else I flat out disliked the second and third. Now we're at a fourth installment, which story wise is better than 2 and 3 but still just isn't very compelling.

I'm glad the writers finally decided to do something different and not just repeat the same villain this time around. The idea of "lost toys" and seeing Bo Peep again was nice but the cat and mouse game that Woody and Forky play throughout really drags and makes this film feel a lot longer than it really is. I also found myself getting annoyed with Molly and Forky which probably wasn't the desired reaction. Unlike the other installments, I laughed a few times which was a nice change.

I'm quite torn on this. I hated Toy Story 3, but thought the ending worked really well for the overall series. This film feels unnecessary, yet it's better than the two that came before it.  It's kind of a shame that this film will probably win the animated Oscar just because it's Toy Story, when another animated franchise - How To Train Your Dragon - also bowed out this year with a much better final film. 

Recommended: No

Grade: C+

Memorable Quote: "....you got a kid?" - Ducky (Keegan Michael Key)


Comments

  1. I can understand your gripes about the franchise as I will say that you at least you don't have an agenda on the film unlike some asshole named Cole Smithey who claims the film series is capitalist propaganda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Capitalist Propaganda? Okay, I have to read that take. lmao

      Delete
  2. Aw, I really liked this one, but it does feel totally unnecessary. But....the new characters, for me, completely justified its existence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm in the major minority with the Toy Story.

      Delete
  3. This film franchise will missed ❤️💛💜💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll miss the How TO Train Your Dragon franchise.

      Delete
  4. This one felt different compared to the other films. It felt darker, and somehow much more grown-up in terms of plot. Felt the same as you did about Molly and Forky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I think they made it in mind with their original audience who had TS1 when they were kids.

      Delete
  5. I barely even remember the first three so I am sure I will like this,once it drops on dvd, because of stupid dubbing I cannot see it in the cinema :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it when you finally get to see it. I know you'll love Keanu!

      Delete
  6. I liked all 3 to be honest even Mr. Nasty Pants Kelsey Grammar in the 2nd movie. I have to admit that Hollywood needs to make some films other than franchises...It`s beginning to get a bit much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Some franchises are great but I miss those amazing one offs we get like WALL-E, Up, or Brave.

      Delete
  7. Nice review! I really wanted to see this for Bo Peep, but I wasn't in a rush for the rest of the plot. I might check it out sometime this year. lol I liked Toy Story 2, but loathed the third one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like this better than 2 at least. I'm just happy not to be the only one that didn't like TS3.

      Delete
  8. I used to love the previous Toy Story movies. Of course, I watched them when I was quite younger and this release made me nostalgic. However, I agree with one of the comments that said it is darker; more for an ‘adult’ audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. It's for those of us who grew up, I think.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum