Review: The Invisible Man

He can hear us.

Cecelia (Elisabeth Moss) escapes from her abusive boyfriend in the middle of the night, only to find he's committed suicide two weeks later. She's then plagued by un-explainable things and comes to the conclusion that he's not really dead and that he's just found a way to be invisible. Now she has to get everyone else to believe her.

When trailers for this first came out, I honestly didn't even think of the H.G Wells classic this is apparently re-imagined from. Aside from a man learning to be invisible, there's not much overlap. But if you're disappointed that you won't be getting a Dark Universe one with Johnny Depp, Leigh Whannell's film is here to give you what you didn't even know you wanted. 

We as the audience never doubt Cecelia. We know straight away she's telling the truth and our suspense is what Adrian will do next. And this film IS tense. I was surprised to see the run time exceeded 2 hours because it certainly didn't feel like that. There's not much room to breathe.

Elisabeth Moss gives a very memorable performance and it's nice to see her in a film where they're not shoving the camera right up in her face constantly (Hi, Handmaid's Tale) I also really enjoyed Aldis Hodge as her friend James, who takes her in after she runs and his daughter Sydney. (Storm Reid) The few light moments this film does offer surrounds those three and I thought they had wonderful chemistry together.

There's a few distracting elements to this movie that brought it down a bit for me. Like how that restaurant where you know what happens HAD to have cameras and who the hell is feeding that dog? But over all, this is a nice tense thriller. 

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "who are you going to spray with that?" - James (Aldis Hodge(

Comments

  1. This was alright all the way up until the end and then it lost me. All my sympathy drained away that finale.

    Up until then it was a decent if unextraordinary film. The concept for his invisibility was extremely cool and the performances not bad but I'll never watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending surprised me because I thought it was such an obvious place she hit that suit that someone else would find it first.

      Delete
    2. That didn't surprise me it was what she did with it that ruined it for me.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for mentioning the dog! I was stressing so much about the poor thing, haha. This movie was so much better than I expected it to be, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it didn't get hurt like I was expecting it too, but seriously why was it still living at the house?

      Delete
  3. I do want to see this but not right now though I hope it comes on TV for Halloween season as it feels like the right film for that period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll wait for streaming, they ain't getting my money paying that cultist. Also i found Upgrade so overrated so I suspect this is too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a Birds of Prey ticket lol. I'd say this was a lot better than Upgrade.

      Delete
  5. This looks good though the trailer gave too much away! I'm usually not into horror stuff but I'm curious to check this one out. Interesting that it's meant to be part of the Dark Universe thing that Universal tried to do w/ huge stars but didn't pan out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did give away a lot. I don't think it's meant to be a Dark Universe thing? I thought that was completely scrapped?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum