Review: The Worst Person in the World


We first meet Julie (Renate Reinsve) in university, jumping from major to major. But our main story starts on the cusp of her 30th birthday as we follow her relationship with her older boyfriend Aksel (Anders Danielson Lie) and her longing to find a concrete place in the world.

With a title like this I expected Julie to be somewhat insufferable. After all, she's the worst person in the world, right? Wrong. There's no denying Julie is extremely flaky. In fact, it's something Aksel actually likes about her. But I never wanted to reach through my screen and shake her out of a decision. In fact, I related to Julie quite a bit. Especially now that I've also hit 30. I think (hope) it's natural to get to that age and wonder if you made the right career choice or to reflect on where you thought you'd be at this age. It's nice to see that internal crisis play out without being a dramatic mess. 

Renate is outstanding. She's an easy lead to follow and she makes Julie relatable. Danielson Lie is an actor I was already familiar with. He was in another film by director Joachim Trier, Oslo, August 31st which is also very good.

Honestly, my only complaint I have is that I had to watch this on an airplane because it hasn't hit Netflix DVD or streaming anywhere. And of course I was on the aisle seat, so I had to shield my screen when the sex scenes started. It's awkward being that person.

So is this for you? Yes! If you like foreign films, or quarter life crisis movies that don't make you cringe, you should definitely check this out.

Grade: A-

Comments

  1. This sounds like a good movie. I remember being 30 snd would have shielded the screen when the sex scenes started. Now, soon to be 58 I would care a whit if someone saw the sex scenes. You know, I still wonder about my career ...hahaaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally don't care either but when I'm the aisle seat on an airplane and a LOT of people are behind me...I can't help it. lol

      Delete
  2. It's coming to the Criterion Collection in a month or two as I hope to get the DVD/Blu-Ray (whatever I can afford for the time being) to see this as Joachim Trier is a filmmaker I keep hearing about but I haven't seen anything he's done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I've seen 3 of his movies. This one is my favorite, followed by Oslo, August 31st and Louder Than Bombs.

      Delete
  3. I've heard good things about this. I'll check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quite liked this one but maybe not as much as most others. My biggest gripe is that I still never felt I got to know Julie. So much of her character felt underdeveloped making her choices kinda hard to grasp. But Renate Reinsve is SO GOOD in it and that made it a lot easier to overlook some of the shortcomings.

    I think its getting a Criterion release which is pretty exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome. I wish it had gotten a wider theater release. I had that I had to see films like this and Mass for the first time on an airplane because my theater never got them, then Netflix never got the DVDs to rent.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum