Thursday Movie Picks - Fantasy

This week's theme from Wandering Through The Shelves is one that took me a while to admit I liked; Fantasy. It's a broad category and while I resisted at first, it's safe to say now that I love a good fantasy film. And what better place to look for fantasy than Studio Ghibli? These films are wonderful, even if you don't enjoy animation (looking at you, Joel!) 


1) Spirited Away -
At times I think this movie might unseat American Beauty as my all time favorite. It's such a beautiful movie about a girl who crosses a river to a mysterious place were her parents turn to pigs, demons exist and she must take a job at a bathhouse to save her family. 


2) Howl's Moving Castle -
Sophie is a lonely shop worker who's cursed by a witch to appear as an old woman. Her hope of breaking the curse lies with an eccentric wizard and his moving house. This one is so fun and I love the voice work. 


3) Princess Mononoke -
A young warrior is cursed after killing a possessed boar. On his way looking for a cure, he finds himself stuck in the middle of another war between the forest gods and a fortress of miners. This one is a bit more violent than I expected and a tad overlong, but it's very action packed and I can see how a lot of animators later on were inspired by the characters in this film.

Comments

  1. Such great choices. Princess Mononoke is one I can't get my girls to watch--they'd rather rewatch Howl's Moving Castle or Ponyo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Howl's! Mononoke I expected to love based on how well praised it is, but it's in the higher middle of my list. Ponyo was cute, I don't think the American voice actors playing the two kids are very good, but the rest of it is.

      Delete
  2. Princess Mononoke is the one film on that list I haven't seen as I like the fact that you went a theme-within-a-theme bit as I too went for the same approach on a filmmaker known for making fantasy films. I do love Spirited Away as I think it's a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a masterpiece! I adore it. I think you'd really like mononoke.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen any of these! I'm ashamed of myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely start with Spirited Away when you do!

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen Amy of these but I heard nothing but great things about Spirited Away and the 2nd one...the animation looks so good that scene you show reminds me of Sleeping Beauty I'm not sure about the last one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spirited Away is a masterpiece. I cannot recommend it enough.

      Delete
  5. A theme within the theme, love those!

    However it's in a genre that I never dabble in. However I have heard of all three and know they are reputed to be some of the best in anime.

    I'm not much for straight fantasy with the exception of anything relating to the Arthurian legend especially the 1981 film Excalibur. But after looking at Birgit's picks I realized that fantasy in a more commonplace setting worked better for me and thought of these three-the Alan Rickman/Juliet Stevenson bittersweet comedy Truly Madly Deeply, the flyaway but rather sweet Robert Downey Jr./Elisabeth Shue picture Heart and Souls and the Debbie Reynolds body switch farce Goodbye Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are inspired picks! I really hope you at least watch Spirited Away one day since it's one of my all time favorite films.

      Delete
  6. My niece adores anime, yet I still havent seen one but the perfect choice for this topic - good call

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend checking out Studio Ghibli films! Especially if you have HBO Max since they're all there.

      Delete
  7. Howl's Moving Castle is the only one I've seen. Not a fan. I also never got why people say the animation in it is beautiful. It is just okay. In general I am not a fan of anime/manga type of illustrations but I do like playing Japanese RPG games and some of the illustrations/animations there are I thought better looking than Howl's Moving Castle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think it's gorgeous. Especially the landscapes and the food. They're beautiful.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum