What I Watched on TV in May

Hi all! I've been out of town last week and this week, so I've been pretty scarce around here. These posts are going up automatically, and I promise I'll try to find time to read everyone else's blog posts as soon as I get some time to myself. I unfortunately haven't been able to make it to the big screen lately, so here's what I've been catching up with on the small screen instead. 


Captive Audience -
This is a three part docuseries on Hulu regarding the tragic real life kidnapping of Steven Staynor. I know I've read about his case before watching this, but I had forgotten a lot of the details. A made for TV movie was made about him back in the day and they had some of the actors read letters that their real life characters wrote, which was a little weird. I have to give it props for originality though. Over all, this is a quick informative watch that I'd recommend if you like True Crime.


Under the Banner of Heaven -
I LOVED this show. Andrew Garfield is surely got to be the Emmy front runner for mini series for this. This is a murder mystery that's intertwined with Mormon history reenactments, which I didn't care for, but apparently the book this is based on did that too. Gil Birmingham, Wyatt Russell, Rory Culkin and Sam Worthington, whose name I always forgot and end up calling him "Avatar Guy" all give great performances. This series definitely has some flaws, and could probably have used either another episode or an additional 30 minutes, but I was so engrossed in it that I could roll with the issues.


Atlanta -
The finale of this season didn't really feel like a finale. I think because Van is one of my favorite characters and I didn't like how aimless they made her this season, I felt a little underwhelmed as a whole. It's still risky and I applaud it for that, but I didn't love this season.


Barry -
I am not loving Barry this season. Sally is an absolute terror (though she dumped Barry finally, so good on her) NoHo Hank continues to be hilarious, thankfully. I'm a few episodes behind but I think it's starting to pick up.


Cults and Extreme Beliefs -
This was something I put on to listen to while working and it was just okay. I couldn't help but think how I'd rather listen to some of my favorite true crime youtubers talk about these cases instead.


The Staircase -
I didn't really know how to feel about this show when they first announced it but it's been very good so far. The actors are great, they made the choice to show how all theories of Kathleen's death could've played out. It's a good series. I still think Michael did it. 


Obi Wan Kenobi -
This one I'm very behind on but I'm saving episodes to watch on a long plane ride I have coming up, but I've seen the first episode and so far so good! I'm surprised to see little Leia. They're making her very precocious so I hope that doesn't backfire. 


Comments

  1. I love Obi Wan Kenobi as that last episode was intense. I so love little Leia. She definitely got that sass obviously from her parents. I'm also liking Moses Ingram as Reva as I am disgusted by all of the racist hate she's getting. Man, fuck them fans who hate this. They're not Star Wars fans, they're just sad pathetic little fanboys with sand in their vaginas. The fact that Trekkies are in support of Ingram is proof of the stupidity of these little fanboys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingram is doing great and anyone sending her hate needs to be thrown off the planet. I'm embarassed to be a Star Wars fan sometimes. I didn't love the 4th episode (which I just finished) but the 3rd is by far my favorite. Loved Vader and Obi Wan.

      Delete
  2. Is this all on Netflix or do you have many channels? Oh, Obi Wan is on Disney. I want to see The Staircase but not much else attracts me except the docudrama of the little boy. I have to admit I love true crime. I'm doing the same thing....I copied you to be honest and post o the 1st Friday of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a handful of streaming services since I dropped cable. Obi Wan is on Disney, The Staircase and Barry are on HBO Max, and the rest are on Hulu!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum