2023 Blind Spot Series: Blood Simple


What I knew going in:
Apparently nothing.

Abby (Frances McDormand) is having an affair with Ray, (John Getz) a man that works for her husband Julian. (Dan Heyada) Juilan hires a seedy PI (M. Emmet Walsh) to follow them, and it all goes down hill from there.

The funny thing about this blind spot is I was sure I had seen part of it before, then when I started watching it absolutely nothing looked familiar. So I was clearly mixing it up with something else. That said, the Coen Brother's debut is something I've longed to see.

And it certainly is a debut. Very rough around the edges and not the most visually appealing, but you see the beginnings of what the Coen's will become as directors. The same goes for McDormand in her debut performance. She's the highlight of the film.

I can't say I loved this movie. It's very uneven. The best way I could describe it is that its "in between" moments aren't very compelling compared to the bigger story beats. The last 15 minutes however, is wonderful and tense.

Grade: B-

Comments

  1. I like this one more than you do, but I'm also very much an apologist for the Coens. Love the way it all works, and I really love what they did with M. Emmet Walsh--he's not a guy who normally exudes menace, but boy does he here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a massive creep in this! I do like the Coens too. Gotta rep my fellow upper Midwesterners.

      Delete
    2. I had no idea that you were in my neck of the woods, although it sounds like you're a little further north than I am (I'm just south of Wisconsin).

      Delete
  2. I saw this in the theatre on its initial release, it was being praised to the skies by critics so I was curious, while it was bumpy I definitely saw a lot of promise in it.

    But promising and great are two very different things and this wasn't great. Clever in parts but as you said uneven. But a fine start for the Coens and a nice showcase for Frances McDormand to start out in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I mean, how often is a debut film a completely knock out? It doesn't happen often.

      Delete
  3. I have yet to see it. I don't think ibeven heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this film. It is a phenomenal debut film that left me in chills in some spots while Frances McDormand is amazing. I think when it comes to the Coen Brothers. People will often think of them doing quirky films but then they do something like this or Miller's Crossing or No Country for Old Men as they're quite diverse. That's what I love about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Miller's Crossing is what I was confusing this movie with. I definitely haven't seen all of that, but I will eventually check it out.

      Delete
    2. I only have seven words to say about Miller's Crossing: Albert Finney. A Tommygun. And Danny Boy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum