Review: Reality


Based word for word from an FBI transcript during a search of her home, we follow Reality Winner (Sydney Sweeney) a former NSA linguist who is being arrested for leaking classified documents.

Reality (yes, parents actually named her "Reality Winner") was eventually given the longest sentence ever (5 years) for violating the espionage act. Writer/Director Tina Satter originally adapted this story as a play, and it very much still feels like one on film. It's a very interesting concept to go word for word from an interview/quasi-interrogation. Using film as a medium allows Satter to add a few cuts to a script or a recording device when necessary to break up the scenes. It works very well for the most part.

Sweeney has proven herself to be a very capable actor on various TV shows, so it's no surprised she shines here as well. We spend a lot of time in Reality's personal space, and Sweeney's face says so much. The FBI agents she interacts with, played by Josh Hamilton and Marchánt Davis are also very good. They're friendly guys, yet clear antagonists. 

Because some of this interview was redacted, the film is forced to also redact those moments on screen, which can give off the impression that the film is somewhat incomplete. If you're not already familiar with Reality's story, there's definitely going to be some Wikipedia in your future after watching. But overall, I think what they accomplished here as a very compelling watch and is definitely worth your time.

Grade: B

Comments

  1. I want to see this even though I still don't have MAX. Plus, I do think Sydney Sweeney is showing that there's more to her than being a sex symbol while I also have seen her in interviews as she comes off as a nice young lady with a love for cars. A beautiful woman who knows how to repair cars. I wouldn't turn that down. I'd just make sure I'd take her to a nice place and give her a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lmao. I didn't know she was into cars. But I'm glad she's getting to show her range. She had a standout season in Euphoria last year.

      Delete
  2. I never heard of the actress or the film. That name seems to belong on a James Bond movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And her parents ACTUALLY named her this. I will never get over it. Still, it's good.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of this movie though I feel like I've been hearing the name Sydney Sweeney way more than I'd like to, ahah. Wow, her parents actually named her Reality?? Poor girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of this but it sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum