Review: Priscilla


Official synopsis:
 When teenage Priscilla Beaulieu (Cailee Spaeny) meets Elvis Presley (Jacob Elordi), the man who is already a meteoric rock-and-roll superstar becomes someone entirely unexpected in private moments: a thrilling crush, an ally in loneliness, a vulnerable best friend.

It's easy to be blinded by Elvis' undisputable star power and not look into his and his eventual wife Priscilla's relationship a little deeper. Until recent years, I had just known they had married when she was a teenager, but never cared to unpack that.

Director Sofia Coppola will unpack that for you. She never shies away from the fact that Elvis groomed Priscilla. That all the adults around her failed her miserably. And boy does she frame that well with the over foot height difference between Spaeny and Elordi. 

Priscilla is essentially in a rose colored prison. While everything is exciting to her at first, we quickly see how trapped she is. Most of the scenes are set at Graceland, in their bedroom or the living room. Putting us right there with Priscilla knowing she can't really go anywhere else. 

Spaeny does a great job of capturing Priscilla's naivety. She keeps a good girl facade, like she's afraid to emote in a way that will anger Elvis. We see it from break from time to time. Casting Euphoria's resident creep in Elordi to play Elvis was brilliant. He's very manipulative, yet depended on Priscilla. 

The production design and costumes are beautiful and I'm glad Coppola is the one to tell this story. I know it will garner a lot of comparisons to last year's Elvis, even though they are telling vastly different stories. For what it's worth, I enjoyed this one far more. 

Grade: B+

Comments

  1. Spaeny is sooo good in this. Quietly affecting. I'm still a little mixed on a few choices and the last 20 minutes seemed super rushed to me. But I was pretty enamored with the movie and can't wait to see it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spaeny did naïve so well. I think she struggled with some of the more emotional beats, but she was still great. Really hope this opens a ton of doors for her.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen Elvis yet though I am aware of its approach as I am going to watch it but with extremely low expectations as I still think the 1979 TV movie by John Carpenter starring Kurt Russell as Elvis remains the definitive film on the King. Plus, it was a film that also didn't shy away from the many faults of the King as well.

    I do think this is one of Sofia's finest films as I loved the atmosphere she brought but also this unique character study on Priscilla as Spaeny completely knocked it out of the park. Elordi is great as I liked the fact that he made Elvis this absolutely flawed individual.

    It is true what you said about the adults not doing enough for Priscilla during those early years in Graceland as they could've had her be involved more with Elvis' business affairs and maybe ask for her opinion on things. Had she been allowed to speak out more, I think she would've been the one to get rid of Colonel Tom Parker who was a real piece of shit that did a lot to milk everything out of Elvis and played a role in their divorce.

    I also read recently about some of Elvis' affairs as yes, I already knew about Ann-Margaret. I didn't know about Nancy Sinatra though it turned out that they were merely flirting and that was it. Nancy didn't want to upset Priscilla as I can respect that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's funny, knew of Nancy Sinatra but Ann-Margaret was the new one for me. I can't say I ever paid that close attention to Elvis. His music and acting was always meh to me. I really loved Coppola's approach to this as well. I wanted to strangle Priscilla's parents though. My parents would've slapped Elvis with a restraining order if that were me. lol

      Delete
    2. But... it's THE KING! His music isn't meh... some of his movies are but not the music. Plus, he was respectful to the parents and didn't force himself on Priscilla while she was underage. He's not fucking R. Kelly for fuck's sake.

      I better not hear any slander on Frankie Avalon either. If it wasn't for him, your parents wouldn't exist. :)

      Delete
    3. NGL I'd have to google who Frankie Avalon is lmao. I'm failing here.

      Delete
    4. You've never heard of "Venus"? Those beach movies from the 1960s with Annette Funicello? *weeps*

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum