Review: Deadpool & Wolverine


Official synopsis:
 Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds) is offered a place in the Marvel Cinematic Universe by the Time Variance Authority, but instead recruits a variant of Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) to save his universe from extinction.

I'm back after another long week of traveling so I know this review is coming late - but I did make it to see Marvel's next offering! I also re-watched the first two Deadpools in preparation...and realized just how much of them I had forgotten. I don't love Ryan Reynolds as an actor. He's good as Deadpool, and he clearly loves playing him, but it wears on me. Fortunately, like Cable in the last film, Wolverine breathes life into the 3rd chapter.

This was so much fun. Some of the fourth wall breaking is grating but a lot of the references absolutely hit (like two comments about separate divorces...hilarious) I wasn't expecting this to be such a love letter to the Fox era of super hero flicks. Even the credits are an ode to what came before. 

Plotwise, there's definitely some questionable choices, but I liked the inclusion of the TVA from the Loki series. This isn't a film that takes the MCU a step forward, but it doesn't set out to be. It's here to make us laugh, and it does that over and over again. It might have the funniest end credit scene of all time, and that's no hyperbole. I laughed SO hard. 

This is easily my favorite of the Deadpool trilogy. I'm happy to see Hugh Jackman again. I don't think this lessons Logan any to see another Wolverine variant. It's exactly what this film needed. 

Grade: B+

Comments

  1. I'm likely going to wait for this on Disney+ though it is very likely that I won't like it. I really don't like Ryan Reynolds and I hate Shawn Levy. I've gotten shit from fanboys anyways for crapping on Reynolds. Well, fuck them. Scorsese was right all along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't care for Reynolds either but Jackman (and others) majorly outshine him here, so it made it worth it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Review: The Batman