Review: Sometimes I Think About Dying


Official synopsis: 
Fran (Daisy Ridley), who likes to think about dying, makes the new guy (Dave Merheje) at work laugh, which leads to dating and more. Now the only thing standing in their way is Fran herself.

Human connection is important, and it's something that Fran lacks. She enjoys her spreadsheets, but you'd be hard pressed to know anything else she enjoys. Fran's a mystery, and one the film doesn't quite unravel.

I expect this quiet little film to divide audiences. Not much happens, but it says a lot between the lines. The setting in a small Oregon town perfectly matches the film's tone. It's cold, a bit bare, but there's something curious underneath.

Ridley is an interesting actress, and even though she doesn't have much to do here, she was still fun to watch, as was Merheje. I just wish we could've gotten a bit more back story on both characters. Like, how was this Robert's FIRST job at his big ol' age? What was Fran's life like? Those were some answers I would've liked.

I found a lot of this quite charming. I remember reading some reviews when this came out at Sundance in 2023 how it would've worked better as a short, and I understand that because again, not much happens, but I had no issue with its 90 minute run time.

Sometimes I Think About Dying is now streaming on Mubi.

Grade: B

Comments

  1. I really want to see this though it's been really hard to find the time to watch more films as COVID left me a bit drained and there's so many films that I had hoped to watch as I really couldn't get things ready which is why it's been taking me longer to post and write reviews and other projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your health is important, so take the time to rest! We'll be here when you feel up to it. :)

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to see this for a while but not sure I have MUBI. I thought the trailer looked intriguing, glad to see Daisy Ridley branching out to many different genres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mubi is something I only get if there's a sale, because their pricing is a little steep for what they offer.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Review: The Batman