Ranking The D23 Announcements


San Diego Comic Con used to be THE big nerdy event to look forward to in the summer and it's kind of crazy how much bigger D23 seems now. I mean it's obvious why, when a single company owns so many franchises, but still. I remember when I used to refresh my computer constantly to catch Hall H updates.

Anyways I randomly woke up in the middle of the night last night and instead of falling back asleep I watched all the new D23 teasers instead and thought it would be fun to rank them based on my excitement (or lack there of)

Not My Monkeys - Not My Circus

I would be remiss not to mention that I don't follow EVERY franchise that D23 talked about, so I'm excluding a few things from my official ranking.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians - I don't watch this show and I never read the books so I can't put it in my Hype Train, but it seems to be doing pretty well? 
Kingdom Hearts - I know so many people that played and loved these games, but I never got into them myself. Still, I think it's pretty cool they're going to do more with them.
Camp Rock - Listen, I'm very familiar with the blackhole of charisma known as the Jonas Brothers but I was a bit too old to get into these movies when they came out and as much as I want to make fun of it, It's not really fair. 
Romy & Michele 2 - I've never actually seen Romy and Michele's High School Reunion and yes I know that's embarrassing, but I'll make it a Blind Spot someday, I swear.  
The Bluey Movie - I don't have kids in the Bluey age range so I don't know much about Bluey, even though I've caught a few episodes with my young niece. 


THE HYPE TRAIN


Tangled - Starting below rock bottom is the upcoming live action tangled. Who despite my love for everything Kathryn Hahn, I just cannot muster a single fuck for. I think Tangled as an animated movie is pretty overrated. I know so many love it, but I felt nothing watching it, so it makes sense I'd feel even less love towards a live action remake.

Lilo & Stitch 2 - Keeping in theme with my dislike of Live Action Remakes, I don't care about this one either and I still can't believe the first one made over a billion dollars. We are never going to see the end of this live action remake trend. 

Ice Age: Boiling Point - I'm more surprised they are still making these movies then anything. I have nothing against this franchise. I liked it when I was a kid, I love Denis Leary and Queen Latifah's voice work, and the Scrat shorts should not work nearly as well as they do, but I've aged out of these and my son only ever liked the first two, so this one is not for me. 

Coco 2 - I LOVED Coco, but I don't necessarily *need* a sequel to it, so I can't be hyped at this point. Maybe when a trailer comes out for it, and if that looks good, I could see myself looking forward to this. 

The Incredibles 3 - Same with The Incredibles, I never asked for a second Incredibles, even though I did enjoy it when it came out. Jurys still out here. 

Frozen 3 - I also don't *need* another Frozen movie either, but I think there's way more potential with continuing this story vs the others, so it gets ranked slightly higher.

The New Simpsons Movie - Not something I was asking for, but it's been a fun experience to grow up with the Simpsons, then to see my son start to love them too. So this will be a good one to see as a family. 

The X-Men - I feel like my timeline has been bombarded with X-Men casting rumors all year, so I've gotten to the point where I just don't want to hear about it anymore until the film comes out. Adam Driver as Mr. Sinister is the most exciting casting to me. I already like Sadie Sink as Jean based on her appearance in Spiderman: Brand New Day, but the rest of the cast I range from indifference to straight up HUH?! (Christopher Abbott). The X-Men have so much potential but the original cast has always been my favorite and with the exception of outliers like Logan and Deadpool, everything that has come after X2 in the live action space has just underwhelmed me a bit. I hope this is different. 

Star Wars: Starfighter - I'm pretty fucking excited to see Ryan Gosling in a Star Wars movie, even though I wish he was in Rian Johnson's Star Wars movie, because why are we still waiting for that?!

Avengers: Doomsday - It pains me to not have an Avengers film as my #1 most hyped. Everything they've put out so far just hasn't captured the magic for me. The new teaser definitely piqued my interest more, but it's also making me spiral a bit. Dr. Doom is being made to be a Thanos level threat, but we had to build up to Thanos. And before Jonathan Majors fumbled the biggest bag of all time, we were building up to Kang. The Fantastic Four didn't mention Doom at all aside from showing him in the after credits teaser. I'm kind of worried Dr. Doom is just going to feel like a giant info dump, then we're going to be stuck with the even less interesting "Young Avengers" for Secret War. I might be getting ahead of myself. There are things I'm looking forward to in Doomsday, but as the great Meryl Streep once said....



Zootopia 3 - Of all the current animated films Disney is making sequels for, Zootopia is by far the best. I was so pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the second one considering how much I loved the first, and I'm just jazzed we don't have to wait another 10 years for this. 

Ahsoka Season 2 - CHOPPER!! My favorite muderbot is getting more TV love. Rosario Dawson has been such a treat as Ahsoka and I can't wait to see her and the Star Wars Rebels gang back again. The teaser trailer showed a lot of young Ahsoka and Anakin, and I kind of hope that's limited because while it makes sense that Anakin would still weight on her mind, I feel like we need to move past that. There's years of her as a kid on Clone Wars and I'd rather see the time they're getting devoted elsewhere. A minor complaint and hopefully just filler to not spoiler the other parts of the show. So excited for this still.

VisionQuest - I probably *shouldn't* be surprised that something from the Wandavision universe was my favorite thing to come from the D23 teasers, but I didn't think I'd love the trailer as much as I did. Vision's future was definitely up in the air and I didn't think about him at all while watching Agatha All Along, but I am so here for this. Especially having James Spader back as Ultron. He's such an underrated villain and while this verison of him looks to be very different, I'm just happy to see him on screen. I'm going to start my prayer circle for a Wanda cameo now. 


What are you most looking forward to?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Please join me in my Favorite Movie Titles Blogathon!

Thursday Movie Picks: The New Kid at School