Review: Cyrus

When bad advertising happens to a good film.



I read tons of reviews on this when it premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. I got the impression that it was a drama, with some well placed comedic parts. You wouldn't know that just by the previews. This film is being advertised like it's Step Brothers 2.0. It was so off that I rolled my eyes at what I thought was going to be another Jonah Hill performance where he plays the same character every time.

Luckily for me, I was wrong. Cyrus follows John (John C. Reilly) a divorcee of 7 years that hasn't quite gotten back into the dating game. His ex wife, Jamie (Catherine Keener) is still in his life. She's his best friend and she's about to get re-married. She forces John to go to a party with her where he meets Molly. (Marisa Tomei) They immediately hit it off and eventually John finds out that Molly's needy 22 year old son Cyrus (Jonah Hill) still lives with here, and doesn't like the new intrusion.

This is where I'm thankful for the bad advertising. I was expecting another smart ass performance from Hill, and he ended up showing a little depth. His character is complicated, and he played it well. John C. Reilly was a real treat. I recently saw The Promotion for the first time and I just felt sorry for him through out that movie. I loved him in this, he was so genuine and you really rooted for him. Keener and Tomei are perfectly cast, like always.

I enjoyed the film. It had that great "indie feel", which I love. I wish it would be advertised that way. I suppose their marketing campaign isn't bad. It'll get people out there, but hopefully they will be surprised with Hill like I was. I hope they enjoy the little quirks about the film, like the impromptu dance session John starts at a party and don't expect it to be back to back funny lines. It has it's funny parts, it's very funny parts, but it's also got it's deep ones. The sad ones. All of those together make this a very enjoyable film.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "I just had some jockage!" - John (John C. Reilly)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum