2011 Emmy Winners + My Thoughts

Here's a list of the Emmy winners and nominees. (The ones announced on the air, anyways.) My thoughts are in green after various categories

Outstanding Comedy Series

Other Nominees:

"30 Rock"

Modern Family winning was not a surprise. I have yet to watch this show, but I've heard nothing but great things. The TV spots are pretty amusing. I loved the Kobe one.

Outstanding Drama Series

WINNER

Other Nominees

"The Good Wife"

My husband guaranteed me that Games of Thrones would win. I saw Boardwalk Empire. Whoops.

Outstanding Miniseries or Made for Television Movie

Other Nominees:

Too Big to Fail

Surprised Mildred Pierce didn't win.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

Other Nominees:

Matt LeBlanc for "Episodes"

I'm really happy that Jim Parsons won again. Charlie Sheen presenting was awkward. In other news, What the fuck is Episodes? 

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series Since Bryan Cranston didn't qualify

Other Nominees:

Timothy Olyphant for "Justified"

Like I stated last night, every nominee in this category deserved it more than Kyle Chandler. This one floors me. 

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

Other Nominees:

Amy Poehler for "Parks and Recreation"

I absolutely loved how all the nominees got on stage together. That was probably the funniest thing all night. I'm really surprised that McCarthy took home the trophy.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series

Other Nominees:

Eric Stonestreet for "Modern Family"

Surprise! Someone from Modern Family won. Thank God it wasn't Glee.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series since Aaron Paul didn't qualify.

Other Nominees:

John Slattery for "Mad Men"

Good for Peter Dinklage! That was a nice surprise in a pretty open category.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Movie

Other Nominees:

James Woods for Too Big to Fail

Well deserved, thought for a minute I thought Giamatti might take it.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

Other Nominees:

Kristen Wiig for "Saturday Night Live"

I really thought Lynch would win this, but the hosts never win. I should've known.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie

Other Nominees:

Evan Rachel Wood for "Mildred Pierce"

Evan Rachel Wood should've won this, IMO.

Outstanding Variety, Music Or Comedy Series

Other Nominees:

"Saturday Night Live"

9th win in a row for the Daily Show. The best damn news team deserves it.

Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series

Other Nominees:

"How I Met Your Mother" (2005): Pamela Fryman
"30 Rock" (2006): Beth McCarthy-Miller

30 Rock was nominated for the Live Show, I thought that should've won.

Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series

Outstanding Directing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special

Outstanding Directing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Series

Other Nominees:

"Late Show with David Letterman": Jerry Foley

SNL winning surprised me. I thought Daily Show or Colbert Report would take the win.

Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series

WINNER

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series

Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Series

Other Nominees:

"Saturday Night Live"

Again, well deserved. Although Colbert Report deserved it too.

Comments

  1. Your ignorance towards Friday Night Lights winning the two major awards last night tells me you haven't seen the show. Have you really watched it? Chandler is the soul of the show and his win (along with the creator's win for writing) was a big, fat thank you from the academy for five beautiful, heartbreaking seasons.

    If you like drama, I urge you to check it out. Then take a look at that list of Best Actor nominees again, and you'll change your tune. They are all good, no doubt, but see the show, and you won't be so surprised why Chandler pulled the upset.

    Seek out Modern Family, too. You don't know what you're missing!

    For the first time in a long, long time, the Emmys got a lot right this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I have seen Friday Night Lights. I found it to be boring and melodramatic. I never understood the hype for it. In my opinion, there's no way Chandler showed more depth than Hamm, Hall and Laurie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't speak for Hamm (I haven't seen Mad Men yet), but Hall is terrific. Didn't he win a few years ago? I don't feel badly if they won already (ditto for Laurie). Though the Emmys do have a tendency to reward repeat winners (i.e. Jim Parsons), it's just nice to see they are capable of upsets. Everyone will have another chance next year except for Chandler.

    And we'll have to agree to disagree re: depth. I'm a grown man and Kyle Chandler made me cry more than once, I'm not ashamed to admit. I can't speak the same about the other guys. :-P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum