Indie Gems: Trainspotting

Track marks.

My love affair with Danny Boyle starts here. Every time I watch Trainspotting it effects me differently. It's one of the few films that can be described as "disturbing" and "beautiful" at the same time.

Rent Boy (Ewan McGregor) is a heroin addict attempting to get clean. His friends and flatmates don't help. When he finally gets the nerve to leave he's plagued by hallucinations of his friends, both dead and alive.

These hallucinations bring out the best in the film. They range from disturbing (a deceased baby crawling across the ceiling) to downright disgusting. (Toilet diving, the most memorable scene in my opinion) I've always loved the way Boyle shoots his films, and yet I can't find the right words to accurately describe it. It's different and beautiful and I wish I could do it more justice.

Don't let the subject matter fool you into thinking the film is a complete downer, it's actually quite hilarious too thanks to the sharp dialogue. It's a must see not only for Boyle fans, but for fans of great movies all together.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?" - Rent Boy (Ewan McGregor)

Comments

  1. For some reason, this was the movie I would watch as a teenager to cheer me up. I'm not sure why, or what that says about me.

    The toilet dive is definitely the most memorable scene for me, too, although I have a soft spot for Renton and Sick Boy's James Bond impersonation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum